1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pictures of molting??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NotTheMomma, Sep 16, 2009.

1. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep reading about molting, and there being lots of feathers in the coop then. About 2 months or so ago, we had feathers everywhere. The entire coop flooring was covered in feathers. However, none of the chickens looked like they had lost feathers. They were just as fuzzy butts as ever. Was that a molt? Do they have bare areas when they molt? Or will it be like a dog shedding, and new feathers come in so fast that you don't actually see bare spots? I'm really curious about this, as mine actually started laying during all those feathers!! I thought they were just losing their teenage feathers for adults ones.

2. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

BUMP for this !!!!

I would like to see pictures also , the 5 leghorns i rescued now have alot of feathers all over the coop and i would like to know if they are molting or just taking their feathers out

3. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by