1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pictures of my Buckeyes.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by rrhall, Jan 16, 2010.

1. rrhall

rrhall Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2009
    SouthWest,Ohio
    I started out with a test run with my homemade incubator,I set 7 Buckeye eggs.I drove an hour and
    picked them up from Bigredfeather. This will also give me a different strain to add to my flock.

[​IMG]

On January the 2nd,I had 6 out of 7 eggs hatch.I was very happy with the hatch.

[​IMG]

Here is a better picture of them after they were all dried off.

[​IMG]

Here they are at two weeks old.

[​IMG]

From what I can tell we have three roos and three hens,unless someone else can sex them from pic.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of some 27 week old Buckeyes,I had to bribe them to get a few of them out of their warm coop.

[​IMG]

I could not shut the incubator down,so I set 21 BLRW's.This will be my first attempt at hatching Shipped eggs.
    I candled the eggs at seven days and had to throw five out already,and two more are iffy.I do not know if this
    is the norm for shipped eggs or not,but I'm hoping the rest of the eggs hatch.

[​IMG]

I forgot,I had to throw a few of are Buckeye eggs in on the top shelf,a stagger hatch.
    They just started laying,and I want to see if the Roo's are doing their job.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.[​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Oh, soooo cool! Your pictures are great!
    I love that incubator you made. [​IMG]

I just ordered eggs from James ... Buckeyes! I can hardly wait!

About shipped eggs ... I dunno, I have had all kinds of results. The best I had was 16 out of 18. I usually order 2 dozen, in hopes I will hatch 1 dozen! [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing!

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Double post

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Graet seeing them Buckeye's

Beware the Great Hatcher (Kathyinmo) has posted on this thread, I geuss you too now have the hatching addiction [​IMG]

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Wow! Nice birds :)

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:[​IMG]

7. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Wow, i have never really looked at Buckeyes before, GORGEOUS!

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    They are beautiful!!

9. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow! Awesome looking incubator! Looks very professional! I for one would love to know everything that went into the construction. Some of that looks decidedly un-homemade! Did you scavenge parts from another incubator? Whatever you did, looks like you did it right! Very, very nice! [​IMG]

10. rrhall

rrhall Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2009
    SouthWest,Ohio
    Quote:Wow! Awesome looking incubator! Looks very professional! I for one would love to know everything that went into the construction. Some of that looks decidedly un-homemade! Did you scavenge parts from another incubator? Whatever you did, looks like you did it right! Very, very nice! [​IMG]

The box is made out of 3/4" plywood,and I did the electronics as I went along.I ended up using a PID controller,PID's are used to control kilns and stuff like that so it works great for a incubator.The PID controls the SSR (solid state relay) which then controls the 220 to 250 watt heating element.The heating element is a wire type which a lot of your cabinet style incubators use,so you can pick them up pretty easy.I probable did not need all the switches and lights on it,but a lot of the stuff I had laying around the house and thought it would be neat.I have been using a LG still air incubator with auto turner,which made it nice because the auto turners fit right in the home made incubator.I have made a few mods to it already and will have to make a few more until I get all the bugs worked out of it,but I am very happy with how it turned out so far.I'm going to work on a water system for it,so I do not have to open it up to refill the water bowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by