Pictures of my coop and run... And a question!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bryan8, May 18, 2010.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Hey y'all. I just finished building my run, so the chickens don't roam to far. I was having issues with my chickens walking around the neiborhood when they were free rangeing haha. I have neibors close and they don't care that I have the chickens but i don't want to push my luck so run it is.

Last year I turned our two story shed into my coop. The downstairs is all for my animals and the top is for storeing stuff.
    It's really big, not sure on the diamentions.

Here's some pictures of it and the run

side view from the side opposite the overhead door
    [​IMG]

this is a view from the overhead door enternce
    [​IMG]

this is a view of the nest boxes
    [​IMG]

another view inside haha
    [​IMG]

the run; it's about 30x30 guessing, it looks alot bigger in person
    [​IMG]

well that's my coop and run! What do y'all think?

Now my question. The run and coop are not connected. Every morning before school I have to put the chickens in the run one at a time.... All 17 of them lol. What can I do to connect my run to my coop? It's about 10+ feet away from the coop and the only way I can hook it to the coop would be the two swinging doors on the side that you saw in the first pic. Any ideas? My property end about 12ft off the side of my shed were the 2 doors are. Hers a close up pic of the doors and you can see where I want to hook it to the run

[​IMG]

thanks for readin and I'm open to all comments!

~Bryan

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    The pictures are kinda dark, so it's hard to see where the 10 feet is located.

Maybe a chicken "tunnel" (above ground) to the run?

Or, get a large dog crate and put it on top of one of those kids wagons. Then put your chickens into the dog crate and wheel 'em down to the run. This is how I transport my ducks. But I only have 4.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Why not just open a pop door (like a doggie door) into the building, slightly to the right of the big doors (or just around the corner to the left) and just fence off a 2-3 foot wide walk-way leading to the run??? Do you have nest boxes in the run currently, because I'm wondering how they're supposed to lay their eggs?? I don't think you would want to leave those people doors open, because then if it rains things will get pretty wet inside, and in cold weather things will get pretty cold inside???

4. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Quote:oops! the pictures weren't dark on my iPhone, I'll redo them on my computer tonight

I was thinking some of that big black flexy pipe. Would the chickens walk through a dark pipe?

5. teach1rusl

I doubt they would walk through a dark tunnel. But some have been successful with the chicken tunnels dumbcluck mentioned. They just frame up a square tunnel leading to wherever they need it to and cover it in wire.

6. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Quote:I'm not sure if I want to cut into the shed and ruin the sideing... Also my hens lay around 6:30am so by 7am ish I normaly have 14-17 eggs waitin for me

7. teach1rusl

Wow!! You're lucky, because mine lay throughout the day, sometimes as late as 5PM. Maybe you could cut a pop door into the bottom of one of the people doors??? You could just frame around it, so you wouldn't have to worry about messing up the siding. But I've definitely seen folks who have siding cut pet doors (for dogs and cats) into their walls (not just doors), so I know that can be done. Hope you figure something out that works for you...

8. NattiFan

NattiFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Plainfield, CT
    Love the coop...love the KTM!!! Good luck with finding a solution to your question...I'm sure you've gotten some good ideas already! [​IMG]

9. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Quote:its nice, but it's annoying sometimes when they bawl at 6:30 on weekends! Lol

and to the other poster.. Yup that's my ktm 250 exc I have to keep it in the coop cuse the garage Is packed with other toys! Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by