Pictures of my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by elizaj57, Dec 2, 2009.

1. elizaj57

elizaj57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Tacoma
    My husband surprised me with chickens last summer but they only came with an open-air "summer" coop. So, I designed and built this one. It sits on top of the existing coop and is constructed of 2 x 2s and 1/2" plywood. I mostly used scrap material that we had around the house and bought as little as possible. The window came from ReHarvest, the hinges and hardware from the HFH ReStore. I think I spent more money on screws to put it together than anything else. Hopefully I can figure out how to post pictures.
    [​IMG]
    This is of the coop under construction.
    [​IMG]
    And here it is installed, nearly complete! The window swings open for extra ventilation in the summer, and there is a "back door" for access to clean & feed the girls. I cut away the hardware cloth and added a ladder so they can get upstairs, and there is a slide-out floor for cleaning. This floor also serves to close them in during inclement weather.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrat's on designing and building your own coop. One of the things I enjoy about chickens is the creative problem solving that comes along. I am sure your chickens like having a dry place to retreat to!

3. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Wow you did an great job! My hat is off to you. I could not build anything [​IMG]

4. elizaj57

elizaj57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Tacoma
    Thanks! It's not fancy, but it works.

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Nice...
    I am not sure I would be so handy...[​IMG]

6. ema.whte

ema.whte Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Really nice coop however, your backyard is a bit messy, nothing personal [​IMG].

All the best,
    Emma

7. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    ema.whte :

Really nice coop however, your backyard is a bit messy, nothing personal [​IMG].

All the best,
    Emma

lmao

so is mine​

8. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    Eliza, you are an inspiration to many of us who would stand around and "wish" but never put pen to paper to sketch and plan, or hammar to nail to build. To my experience, a construction site is like a house being cleaned: a bigger mess ensues along the way but leads to order out of chaos in the end. Your hens are lucky to have you:) ~G

9. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Very nice! Muy Bueno!!! I bought and installed two of those small windows that you crank open three glass slats. I also got them from Habitat for Humanity's ReStore. Great place to find that sort of stuff for very little money. I highly recommend them to anyone about to build or improve a coop. Save bucks and support a great cause at the same time.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Wow! Great job on your coop! I'm sure your chickens especially appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by