Pictures of my coop's grazing bed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bangarang64, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Bangarang64

Bangarang64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Lake Okeechobee
    I thought I'd share a few pictures of the grazing bed I made in my main coop. I put it right next to the sides to discourage perching/pooping on it. Since it's always in the shade, wheat seems to be the best crop to grow in it right now. I probably made it too high, but I read somewhere the grass grows healthier the longer it gets before snipping it off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. farmkids

farmkids Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Georgia
    That's a really great idea! :clap

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Clever idea! i could see one making portable versions.

4. Bangarang64

Apr 2, 2012
    Lake Okeechobee
    The first time, I tried growing it in a pan first and laying it down like sod. It didn't work very well. I used millet that time and I don't think it liked the shade. This time i just covered the little bit of earth in the box with a layer of wheat seed and then I hardly covered the seed with dirt, not even a half inch really. Watered it everyday and it worked!

5. escape

escape Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Wow! What a great idea!

6. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Do you need to keep adding grain or do the chickens just take off the top and it keeps growing?

7. milola

milola Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Great idea! I will definitely be using this idea. I only let my chickens out to free range 3 or 4 hours a day and this will give the constant access to the good stuff even when they are confined to the pen. Thanks for the idea.

8. Bangarang64

Apr 2, 2012
    Lake Okeechobee
    That's a great question!
    You don't have to keep replanting the seed if you use the right crop.
    I had planned to grow millet at first, which I know grows back just like a lawn after you mow it. I couldn't really get it going though. I had some Wheat seed laying around and just covered the ground in the box with a good layer of it and put a light covering of soil on top of that and it worked.

I have no idea how long the wheat will replenish itself after being trimmed off, but so far it's behaving just like mowed grass and continues to grow up through the wire.

Here's a better look at the top of the bed and the grass:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  9. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I'm going to try that once (if) spring gets here. Even if the wheat dies out and weeds take over, the girls will love it! Thanks for the idea.

10. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Great idea to make a little one inside the run! Maybe this spring I'll through some wheat seeds in it- was using grass seeds, but maybe the wheat will grow better.

[​IMG]I have 2 set up for them in different areas outside their run.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by