1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PICTURES of my cucoo Maran/Buff Silkie crosses

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JudyMcKinn, Oct 27, 2007.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Well, I have taken some pics of my 3 month old cross chicks that some of you may remember from when they hatched. They are from my cucoo Marans hens and my buff Silkie roo, Maurice. Hatched 6, and 3 are varied colored and 3 are identical black with some gold feathers showing in their necks. I am wondering if this cross made a sex-link cross. Will post a pic of each of the ones I am now suspecting are roos, and a pic of one of the black identical three, who I am suspecting are pullets, if they are sex link. If they aren't then I haven't a clue as to sex yet. All 6 have 5 toes, feathered feet, and small crest. Here is the darker red mottled one. Named Bandit at the suggestion of one of our BYC members.
    [​IMG]

Here is the lighter buff.
    [​IMG]
    And the cucoo one.
    [​IMG]
    And one of the 3 identical black with red neck feathers.
    [​IMG]

And, at the same time I hatched these, I bought a couple black sex-link pullets at the Cackle hatchery. here is the one I hatched (has foot feathers) and the black sex link from the hatchery. What do you think? Did I hatch Marans/Silkie sex links??

[​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    crazy mutts I wonder if they will lay darker eggs

Hmm post when they start laying

Henry

3. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    Judy, I bet the black ones are girls and the buff and multicolor are Boys. you sure can get some interesting looking chickens. That first one will be a conversation piece.

4. DrumStick

DrumStick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2007
    very cute chickens judymckinn.[​IMG]

5. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I think your hunch may be right, LOL! You may have stumbled onto your own version of sex links. The coloring on your "girls" looks like a poofy, feathery version of the hatchery SL. Congratulations!

Edited to add: If Klingons had chickens, they would look like #1, LOL! He needs a great name to go along with his rugged good looks!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    How cool are they??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by