PICTURES of my fluffbutts! - PICTURE HEAVY - Enjoy!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BackyardBirds720, Jul 22, 2008.

1. BackyardBirds720

BackyardBirds720 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    North Central Florida
    This pen we made them outside. We put down the bedding to let them know it was safe to walk on it - because they were scared of the leaves at first - but now they like playing with them!

They love the outside run we made them! Great for them to learn to scratch around, and flutter about. They are still living in the brooder but love the outside excercise. They have some pin feathers (on their wings - girls pins are getting big), and are even getting tail feathers! (the girls are getting the tails. Boys just growing in their pin feathers). They are about a week and a day or two old. And my Aussies are getting black legs! - they seem to be maturing a bit faster than the Orps, and grow a bit bigger.

I've got three Buff Orpington cockerals, five Buff Orpington pullets, and seven Australorp pullets.

[​IMG]

They are all kind of scratching around.

[​IMG]

Benji, my ShihTzu, thinks they are his puppies! He protects them, herds them, and sniffs each one when they come out of their brooder. It's so hilarious! (and cute).

[​IMG]

And there he is again with 'em.

[​IMG]

A few just congregating picking up leaves, and putting them down.

[​IMG]

They are thinking "I know we can get past this wall here! Lets try!" - they've flown into it a few times. And Benji is making sure they are okay. He doesn't let them leave his sight!

[​IMG]

They love being with one another. They are flock animals, and where one goes, they all follow. The flutter around the pen outside.

Hope you enjoyed (will update later)
    -Craig

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. drafthorse39

drafthorse39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    How adorable!! I looove Benji [​IMG]

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Cute babies!

4. barbara4rb

barbara4rb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Great pen! Did you bury the fencing?

Your dog is great. My two dogs are good with the birds, overall. But Meg, a tibetan spaniel, would just as soon eat those babies as look at them.

One day we were trying to catch day-old chicks that one of the free range momma hatched out. Chicks going everywhere, and there was Meg. She'd caught one, had it between her paws, but didn't hurt it. You could tell she was torn between being a good dog and having a snack.

5. BackyardBirds720

BackyardBirds720 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    North Central Florida
    Quote:Well its just temporary, so we haven't buried the fencing. They are ONLY there under the supervision of two (no less) people at a time. When we do make it a little more official we are going to dig and put another layer of chicken wire over the existing stuff.

Yeah, Benji just herds them, sniffs their butts to see who is who I guess, and lays down to watch them. He's 11 pounds, so I am wondering what happens when they get to be 15 pounds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by