Pictures of my hawk problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by WriterofWords, Jan 8, 2011.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I think if you click on the pictures they show up bigger. These guys are not shy, they come sit on my fence and stare at me!

Three on poles:
    [​IMG]
    The big guy:
    [​IMG]
    Two in flight:
    [​IMG]
    The Big Guy leaving:
    [​IMG]

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    You know, we have tons of Redtailed Hawks here, big ones! But they never seem to bother my chickens, knock on wood. Pretty pics! Those things are hard to photograph.

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I have only lost one chick to the hawks so far, my big loss was to coyotes. These are easy to photograph, they pose for me! I think they only thing between them and the birds if I'm not here are Pudster in the baby pen and Miss Kitty in the front yard with the bigger roos.

4. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Wow, what a beautiful blue sky. Ours is kinda grayish all winter....lol. Big birds too.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is there any possibility that they are Harris hawks? I'm not sure of their range, but do know that they hunt in family groups. They do this much more so than any other species.

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm not sure what kind they are, they are different from the Red-tailed ones,, I've never seen these here before.

7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    They look like Harris hawks to me too. Very cool, as long and chicken isn't on the menu.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Saw a nature special on them once. Basically a reddish, coppery brown bird, somewhat slimmer than a red tail. Some of the "flock" would travel on the ground trying to flush rabbits while the remainder would strike from above and all would eat. Also showed some following a badger and as the badger dug and flushed gophers, the hawks would attack. I remember being glad that we do not have them here in the East.

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    The picture I found of the Harris Hawk doesn't match too well,, but I'll try and get a better picture of them!

10. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    IMHO, it is a Common Black Hawk, which mostly eats frogs, fish, crabs, reptiles, small mammals, insects and very rarely, small birds -- not a known "chicken hawk" certainly not a very big bird. The white tipped tail & wings & its shape (especially, its head)-- give away its identity. Even though "common" is in its name-- it is not a hawk one sees-- a rare sight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by