Pictures of my hen house!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Southern28Chick, May 21, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Hi, I'm so proud of my very first coop that I just have to share!!! Tell me what you think.

Here's the yard. It's 40'x50'. All I have left to do is put up my gamebird netting:
    [​IMG]

Here's the stepping stones leading up to the house. I know there will be poop all over them:
    [​IMG]

Here's the rooster thingy I bought on eBay, It's so cute:
    [​IMG]

House:
    [​IMG]

Window, kinda blurry:
    [​IMG]

Here's the chicken door and porch:
    [​IMG]

What do y'all think of this as a nest box? I just have one to see if it would work but I would need about 15:
    [​IMG]

Well that's all for now. Any comments?

2. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    That a fine looking hen house. I hope those hens appreciate it and give you a lot of eggs in return. Good work!

3. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    very cute!!! Love the stepping stones and the rooster!!

4. franfoley

franfoley Out Of The Brooder

Very nice set up! Looks like a very well done job.

Ya did good as my son says.

Frances

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    That looks nice love the big pen area. My girls would go crazy for that much room.

6. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:I was lucky. I bought this house from a lady that had a crazy rescue dog that would try to kill her other dogs so she put up this huge dog pen to keep it from the others. I always wanted chickens and when I bought the house over a year ago I started begging DH to build me a coop. He did a great job!

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  7. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Does anyone have any comments about the basket as a nesting box? It has a little lip in the front that would keep eggs from falling out.

8. Hellebore

Hellebore Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Kirkland WA
    My only concern is that it would fall off of the shelf. Is it secured somehow? I have read that chickens don't care what the nest box is. Good idea!!

When I got my pomeranian she weighed 1 lb 4 oz and I bought her a little letter tray just like that as a dog bed. It was super tiny but worked well until she got bigger. That's off the topic, but it reminded me of that.

9. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    The coop and your whole setup looks great, but how many hens do you plan to have? You said you would need about 15 nests. Usually a nest for every 4 or 5 birds is normal. And they will probably all lay in 1 or 2 favorites, anyway. LOL

10. ChickaChickaBoomBoom

ChickaChickaBoomBoom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Looks great! Wish I had that much space!!

From what I've read on here, the nesting box would work fine (as long as secured like Hellebore said). I figure it's ideas like that that will save you money in the long run (no pun intended).

-Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by