Pictures of my Langshan chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jenai, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Jenai

Jenai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    These are my two 5wks pullets looking very leggy and shy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ten straight run that just arrived:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Cleo' the EE:

[​IMG]

And finally, this is 'Bigman' who is HUGE and easy twice the size of any other chick in the brooder at only 5wks. He was one of the 'packing peanuts' thrown in extra. Any ideal as to what he could be? He is sqatting in this pic, and his legs are a little longer but not by much.

[​IMG]

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I'm no help with id's, but they all look great!
    You've got the start of a great flock there though... [​IMG]
    Are they bantams?

3. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Sometimes the "packing peanuts" are the most fun! I once got a whole bunch of red star roos with my batch of mcmurray peeps. They turned out to be wonderful good natured birds that grew fast on very little feed.

I would hazard a guess at a black australorp, since that is a hugely popular breed where it's conceivable the hatchery would have far more orders for pullets than cockerels or straight runs, but it could be a black giant or orpington or just about anything. Pretty sure he's a heavy breed though if he's already dwarfing your banties. I've never had problems mixing heavies and bantams though.

He'll probably be a very nice bird for you.

I've never had Langshans, but they are handsome little buggers!

4. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Oh I LOVE langshans!! I used to have a white one. I've added five black ones in our next order, due to arrive at the end of the month. I'm so excited! Thanks for posting the pictures. It's cool to see others with the less seen breeds. [​IMG]

5. Jenai

Jenai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    Thanks everyone for your comments. No, none of the chicks pictured are banties. The big one had me puzzled because he's the same height as the other chicks just twice as heavy. The other 'packing peanuts are RIR cockerals and he's heavier than them as well.

6. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    It's hard to say. It seems like every breed grows at a different rate. I had some male red stars sent from Mcmurray a few years ago as packing peanuts. They initially outgrew everyone else including some cornish x rocks I bought at the same time, but eventually their growth rate leveled off and they were about the same size as everyone else (except the CXR's who became MONSTERS).

7. poultrycrazy711

poultrycrazy711 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2012
    Do the chicks have feathered feet? Because I am trying to figure out what my chicks are and one of my chicks is a huge gray chick with a cream whit face and belly and chest with feathers on his feet and looks somewhat ike yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by