Pictures of my new chickens...are these silkies?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ezgreen, Dec 6, 2010.

1. ezgreen

ezgreen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    I was given these lovely chickens yesterday. Did not expect to get a rooster, but he is SO SWEET and just loves his girlies.

My other 3 silkies are a little angry, but overall are doing ok and think it will get better. My one self-appointed Queen did have a fit when one of the new chickens laid an egg in her doghouse. She fussed and fussed until I realized the egg and removed it.

Are these standard Silkies? I am not very familiar with specific names and breeds, but curious if this is the traditional silkie, and if they seem like good quality (or average). Does not matter, just curious. I just got them yesterday and they were brought from a ranch where the other standard more aggressvie chickens were really pecking on them and hurting them, so they are still a little frazzled.

Thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    Yeah their Silkies. They look like Standards but overall nice healthy birds.

3. ezgreen

Dec 5, 2010
    Thanks.

I have 3 more that I have had a couple of months and one is more of a blueish color, and they are really fluffy and fat.

These little guys have had a bit of a tough time on the ranch they are from, and that rooster really covers all 6 of them with his body. I think he has been protecting them, and doing a fine job. I like this rooster. There is a really small black one that looks a little weak, will get her (hopefully a "her") fattened up and loved and she will fluff up. She is still young I guess.

4. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Those are indeed silkies

5. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    AWWWW there all so fluffy and cute!I think I need to get a flock of silkies too......

6. ezgreen

Dec 5, 2010
    Thanks, they are sweet, too. They are very calm and gentle.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Silkies!!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by