Pictures of my new chicks! Cuteness overload

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiyo, Jun 21, 2010.

1. chickiyo

chickiyo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    I just got chicks! For the first time!

Here is their cage.....Am I missing anything? There is water, all natural chick starter feed, paper shreddings for bedding, and a stuffed animal (for decor). Do they need toys? A heater? They are in the laundry room, which is at room temperature, but I dunno.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sleepy babies:
    [​IMG]

You iz my bear friend:
    [​IMG]

I haven't yet got any names for these guys, so please suggest!

2. sabong

sabong Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    they need to have some sort of heat...through a light is best...don't get it to hot but they need to be warm for the first couple of weeks...but don't let your paper get to hot...everything else looks good...and i would suggest going somewhere and buying a heat lamp

3. chickiyo

Jun 21, 2010
    Thanks for the advice! Would a regular desk lamp do? And would they be able to sleep with a lamp on all the time, with light?

4. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:I went to petco or petsmart (I get them mixed up) and got a ceramic lamp, about $45, I am glad I got it. My first batch of chicks I used a desk lamp with a 60 watt bulb, they did fine but I think that the next batch appreciated the dark at night. I heard not to use a black light because of the UVs. Put the lamp at one end of the cage so they can decide how warm to be. Looks good to me! Super Cute, good luck! [​IMG]

5. sabong

sabong Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    yep...they take naps during the day...and a desk lamp would work but you need to be careful because they can over heat and catch fire but that's what i started off with...it needs to be around 90 degrees under the light where they lay...just be really careful...like what CaliBlueChicken said get a ceramic light but i think you can buy one at tractor supply for like $15

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  6. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    They need to be at 90 to 95 for the first week. The temp decreases by 5* each week thereafter. They really need heat. Usually a red heat lamp is best put it above the cage and raise it until it is about 90 degrees in there. Red it best because it doesn't keep them up as much and also if they peck eachother they won't see the red blood specks. Make sure they can go to a cooler part if they want to. Good luck with them. I think the little gray/black one should be named franklin. No idea why.

7. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:yea I was gonna say I noticed the desk lamp got REALLY hot, more so on the metal of the lamp. I didn't want to burn the babies! EEK!

8. chickiyo

Jun 21, 2010
    Thanks for the advice! I just attached a lamp to the cage, they seem to like it:cool:
    I will bring up Franklin in the great name debate. So far we have come up with: Lady Fuzzybutt, Tufty, and Lady Catherine De Bourgh (Pride and Prejudice [​IMG]).
    Also I was wondering if I should leave the chicks's food out all 24/7. My mom says not to as when she was young her chicks died from over eating...but I want a second opinion.

9. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Quote:Be also very careful that the metal of the cage will not get too hot and that it will not burn you or the chicks. Do you have a digital thermometer in with them so that you know the temperature and you can decrease the temperature by 5 degrees F each week until they have completely feathered out which should be around week 6?

There is no such thing as over eating in chickens, especially not in baby chicks. They just eat what they need. Your Mom might have had chicks with some kind of a disease or they ate something wrong and it caused an impacted crop. You may want to consider to raise the feeder and waterer a little bit as your chicks might start to scratch their food around, spill it everywhere. The same thing with the water: Chicks like to scratch and can be messy at times, so maybe put the waterer and feeder on two small paving stones.

However, very cute chicks. Congratulations. What breeds are they? One looks like a Buff Orpington?!

10. chickiyo

Jun 21, 2010
    Quote:Be also very careful that the metal of the cage will not get too hot and that it will not burn you or the chicks. Do you have a digital thermometer in with them so that you know the temperature and you can decrease the temperature by 5 degrees F each week until they have completely feathered out which should be around week 6?

There is no such thing as over eating in chickens, especially not in baby chicks. They just eat what they need. Your Mom might have had chicks with some kind of a disease or they ate something wrong and it caused an impacted crop. You may want to consider to raise the feeder and waterer a little bit as your chicks might start to scratch their food around, spill it everywhere. The same thing with the water: Chicks like to scratch and can be messy at times, so maybe put the waterer and feeder on two small paving stones.

However, very cute chicks. Congratulations. What breeds are they? One looks like a Buff Orpington?!

Thanks, I will put out their food again. [​IMG]
    Yeah the yellow one is a Buff Orpington and the Black one is a Bharma.
    How did you recognize the breed so quickly? have you had a Buff Orpington before? What were your experiences with your Buff Orpington, I don't know what to expect from the breed.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by