Pictures of my new chicks! Cuteness overload

Quote:
Be also very careful that the metal of the cage will not get too hot and that it will not burn you or the chicks. Do you have a digital thermometer in with them so that you know the temperature and you can decrease the temperature by 5 degrees F each week until they have completely feathered out which should be around week 6?

There is no such thing as over eating in chickens, especially not in baby chicks. They just eat what they need. Your Mom might have had chicks with some kind of a disease or they ate something wrong and it caused an impacted crop. You may want to consider to raise the feeder and waterer a little bit as your chicks might start to scratch their food around, spill it everywhere. The same thing with the water: Chicks like to scratch and can be messy at times, so maybe put the waterer and feeder on two small paving stones.

However, very cute chicks. Congratulations. What breeds are they? One looks like a Buff Orpington?!

Thanks, I will put out their food again.
smile.png

Yeah the yellow one is a Buff Orpington and the Black one is a Bharma.
How did you recognize the breed so quickly? have you had a Buff Orpington before? What were your experiences with your Buff Orpington, I don't know what to expect from the breed.

Buff orpingtons are a great breed. They lay big brown eggs and are reasonably friendly birds. Mine absolutely love food and come running as fast as they can if they even THINK I might have food. Brahmas are also allegedly a very friendly and pleasant breed though I haven't had any yet myself.
smile.png
Handle them as chicks and they'll be very friendly hens! Also, yes, definitely get a heat lamp (or a heating pad--heating pads that don't auto-shut-off, covered with paper towels, do fine too) to keep those little ones warm!

I think you will love your orpington! I have blue orpingtons and they are sweet, great egg layers. I am sure you will love the other breed too
smile.png
I just can relate to the orpington. Oh another thing I did was to keep the chicks from walking in thier water, I put stones in the waterer (big enough so they dont try to eat them, but small enough so they can still poke thier beaks in between to get water) I was also told this was good to do when they first hatch so they don't drown as they sometimes like to jump in the water, reminds them of being in the egg. Is the room they are in drafty? If applicable you may want to pin up a towel around part of the cage to prevent drafts.. and also away from the light... no fires!!! They are so cute!

I have never seen a chicken die from over eating - even when My Addidas found a whole bag or raisons- the cat knocked it over and she ate everyone. I thought she was going to pop. Let them graze.
Caroline

Thanks for all the breed advice! We are having so much fun with these guys, they are so sweet! Took them outside this morning, and took lotsa pictures
smile.png
They pooped ALOT outside. I was just wondering what color their poop should be. I saw some orangish brown droppings. Is that okay? And also this morning, the little black girlie stepped in some poop, so I cleaned her feet with a warm paper towel. She HATED it and now she doesn't want me to hold her as much, how do I get these two to be more lovable?
I think I will just add all their pictures as they grow on this thread
jumpy.gif

61213_019.jpg

61213_014.jpg

They are so cute, they preferred to have their breakfast on the grass so they could scratch for it.
61213_021.jpg

61213_012.jpg

What types of food should I give these guys as treats? Apples? Oatmeal flakes?

If you haven't gotten a heat source yet- you can buy the "heat lamp dome" at walmart for like 10 bucks (it has a clip on it) and then get a red heat lamp from petsmart for like 10/15 bucks and it will last years... you can raise or lower it to adjust the temp...

61023_img_5159-1.jpg

61023_smallheatbulb.jpg

Quote:
Be also very careful that the metal of the cage will not get too hot and that it will not burn you or the chicks. Do you have a digital thermometer in with them so that you know the temperature and you can decrease the temperature by 5 degrees F each week until they have completely feathered out which should be around week 6?

There is no such thing as over eating in chickens, especially not in baby chicks. They just eat what they need. Your Mom might have had chicks with some kind of a disease or they ate something wrong and it caused an impacted crop. You may want to consider to raise the feeder and waterer a little bit as your chicks might start to scratch their food around, spill it everywhere. The same thing with the water: Chicks like to scratch and can be messy at times, so maybe put the waterer and feeder on two small paving stones.

However, very cute chicks. Congratulations. What breeds are they? One looks like a Buff Orpington?!

Thanks, I will put out their food again.
smile.png

Yeah the yellow one is a Buff Orpington and the Black one is a Bharma.
How did you recognize the breed so quickly? have you had a Buff Orpington before? What were your experiences with your Buff Orpington, I don't know what to expect from the breed.

Yes, I do have a Buff Orpington as well. I think you got yourself two cute little cuddly dolls there. Mine fly up on my shoulder, like to sit in my lab. They are so friendly, docile and tame compared to other breeds. They will follow you around everywhere if you have little treats for them.
I have some baby chicks hatched last Friday and they are already eating some mealworms..... Just like the title of your post: Cuteness overload.

Buff Orpingtons are so sweet. My son's girlfriend sat down in the yard with my 6 wk olds yesterday and had 4 of them in her lap in about 15 seconds. They like cuddling and petting, and one likes to snuggle under your chin. They are such a joy...

I got a proper lamp for the kiddies today.
smile.png

I am having a problem with my black chick though...ever since I cleaned her feet of poop with a wet towel, she hates getting picked up? She will like run away from hands... I dunno why, cause I cleaned her pretty gently. How do I get both of them to be cuddle friendly? Should I feed em from my hands or what?

Back
Top Bottom