Pictures Of My Yard!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Morgan7782, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Oops, I'm sorry! Did I say "my yard"? I meant "CHICKENS YARD" lol! This is where they spend their free range time. I live in a very urban area, so the yard is not huge, but is a real good size for a city. I will have to measure it, but it's not small by any means.

Apple Tree (Apples!)
    [​IMG]

Some of our MANY flowers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beans, or Pea's. Can't tell the difference.
    [​IMG]

Corn! Yes that's the silk [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beans or Pea's
    [​IMG]

Squash
    [​IMG]

Figs!
    [​IMG]

Peaches
    [​IMG]

Grapes
    [​IMG]

Tomato's
    [​IMG]

Roses
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yard from back patio view
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The feathers I have collected from Munk and Joon! Munk's are BEAUTIFUL with awesome markings!
    [​IMG]

And had to include my Mush Face (Tommy)
    [​IMG]

He was going after the camera flash here
    [​IMG]

Catching his BELOVED Kong
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] That is my girl's home! They looooove it [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. Pretty yard. Love Tommy! I don't care what anyone says, I love Pits. Lost an awesome one 2 years ago to cancer. Have two pit mixes now. Great dogs. What is the foil around the tomato plant for? And I noticed that not all plants are fenced off. Do they leave the daylillies and lavender alone?

3. akaxo

akaxo Songster

i'm with you on liking the look of the dog [​IMG]

beans in the first of the two beans/peas photos, peas in the second [​IMG]

better looking than our garden at the moment but it's the middle of the winter down here

our girls leave the lavender plants alone. well if scratching out all the mulch from around them and digging up the soil and exposing the roots and walking through them breaking bits off counts as leaving them alone [​IMG] don't eat them anyway. makes them smell nice too though [​IMG]

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Tommy is a wonderful boy, he is great with the chickens, and is just a good all around boy. I can feel safe with him around, but he is friendly to people he knows are O.K.

I lost my older female pitty to cancer as well, she was a rescue from a very abusive home and she had some severe issues around certain things. I made these pictures for her [​IMG] my little Savannah girl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The foil is around the tomato plant because the weather here in Sacramento hasn't been reliable heat and sun wise and my mom put it around to help the tomato's get as much sun and heat as possible. It seems to be working too [​IMG] The chicken's don't bother ANYTHING in the garden. They don't eat any sort of flowers, and the only thing they were remotely interested in was the corn, but that ceased pretty quickly. They don't bother the tomato plants or anything, the reason the small garden is fenced is because Tommy tends to destroy the beds with his Kong lol. Talk about a pitbull proof toy!! Black biggest Kong they have and it has lasted since Feburary so far, which is impressive considering how much he chews it [​IMG] Definately got my money's worth in that toy.

Thank you for letting me know which were peas and which were beans! My mom isn't home right now so I had no idea personally. I'm lucky I can tell the corn from the squash haha. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  5. akaxo

akaxo Songster

hope they carry on being good in the garden. i didn't fence anything off at first and they were fine for quite some time then suddenly they all simultaneously decided that tomato plant leaves were the best tasting thing in the world. or close to it anyway. and then the tomatoes ripened and they were pretty good too.

now have a fully fenced vege garden [​IMG]

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    We have a LOT of wire to fence it off with if it needs to be done. My girls are super picky eaters for some reason. They don't touch any veggies or fruits I bring them, except corn. They are 13 weeks or so old, I wonder if their taste matures and changes??

7. Dorte

Dorte Songster

Apr 27, 2010
    Lovely yard! Does the girls do the weeding for you? I am dreaming of chicken weeders [​IMG]

How is Tommy with the chickens?

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LOL they actually do! We have this clover stuff that they looooove. It's like weed/grass stuff. They also are very good at rototilling! My mom can point at the ground and Joon will go to town digging her a hole! Sooo funny.

Tommy is as wonderful with the chickens as he can be. I taught him VERY early on the command "Don't Touch" and have enforced that strongly with these girls since they were a day old. He can be around them fine, and they usually end up chasing him away if he get's too close for comfort, which is usually an accident. If anything he is wary of my chickens, and it's quite funny to see a 60 lb pitbull running from a 8 week old chick!

However: I do not ever leave Tommy unsupervised with the chickens when they are free ranging, ever. He is a pit bull after all, and he has a very strong prey drive. He kills squirrels on a regular basis. The only time he is out unsupervised with them is when they are in their run, and he protects them. One time a tiny sparrow flew into the run and was eating some food that spilled, and Tommy CHARGED over, and chased the little bird away. My chickens can flap, squack, fly, and spar with each other and Tommy doesn't even give them a second look. But I have lost chickens to "chicken safe" dogs before and learned my lesson.

All in all I am thoroughly impressed with his reaction to these chickens. He is a wonderful protector, and has never ever given chase to them or even given them that prey stare dogs tend to do. These are the first chickens he has ever seen too! Double proud.

9. LeftAtAlbuquerque

LeftAtAlbuquerque In the Brooder

Good boy, Tommy!

Your yard is wonderful - oh, how I miss gardening in California! I have to plant my tomatoes in the shade under trees so that they don't get scorched by the sun [​IMG]

10. blb

blb Songster

Jan 13, 2008
    Maryland
    Love your yard!! Your Tommy looks like my Lucy, especially the freckles, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: