Pictures of newly laying hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Aug 1, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I just wonder how red do their combs get before laying? I have a Dom whose comb is really red, but the Deleware's aren't as red. They are all the same age (17 weeks). Can anyone post pics of the newly laying hens for comparison purposes. I am going crazy looking in there all day for an egg.

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I am in the same boat .

I have 3 hens that are laying .. ( not sure of the age )

I have 3 that are NOT laying yet , but are showing signs ...... Combs are really producing FAST and wattles as well .

I have 1 old english game bantam hen that WAS LAYING , but she went broody and has NOT started laying back YET .

I also have about 28 16 - 17 week old pullets that have NOT started laying yet , BUT their combs and wattles are coming in and FACES are starting to get really red . I hav e a few pictures of my FLOCK , the ones with the largest combs and wattles are the ones that are laying NOW . MAYBEsomeone else will come along and POST more pictures that we can both figure out what is going on . LOL LET me get my pictures ready to POST ... brb

OK ... the RIR HEN in the front is a layer and the black one in the back is also a layer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK you can see the 2 larger ones in the back are the layers . BEST I can do for now .

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Could you POSt pictures as well , and we can compare ?

4. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Here are some of my 17 week old NON-laying hens.

This Dominique is squatting and had red comb and wattle, I think she will be soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by