Pictures of our chicks- finally!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kezzie, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    I finally had the heart to take pictures of my remaining chicks. We had a MM order come on Tuesday. It was supposed to have 27 chicks (26 we ordered plus a free extra) and there were only 21 in there. 8 were DOA, 2 died while transferring them into the brooder and five have died since. We have six left. It was a really rough trip and they didn't handle the snowstorm in Atlanta well. I have been crying for most of the past two days as I've watched the weak ones die. I did everything I could- water, vitamins and food by dropper and a safe place in the brooder to recuperate. They just couldn't do it. The replacements are coming next week but I'm not looking forward to a repeat performance. I'm not sure my heart is cut out for that.

Enough of the sad post though. Here are my babies which of course are the most beautiful babies ever in the universe (or so this first-time chick mom thinks!). I think I have them identified but please tell me if you think I'm wrong. Wish me luck trying to figure out how to get pics in here!

Delaware (also known as Ms. Bossy Pants)
    [​IMG]

Black Star
    [​IMG]

RIR
    [​IMG]

Also RIR
    [​IMG]

Partridge Rock
    [​IMG]

Maran ( I think this one's a girl)
    [​IMG]

Maran (I think this is a boy)
    [​IMG]

The gang in the brooder
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I am so sorry for your terrible experience. It is very hard to wait (not so patiently sometimes) for the little fuzzies to arrive and when they do and it's tragic it is so, so painful. I hope you don't let it stop you from having chickens and ordering more if you want them. Here's a passage that I got off of this forum:
    "We, who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, accept it's awful gaps, we still would live no other way."
    I can't imagine my life without my pets in spite of the losses...
    RIP to all your little ones and again, I am so sorry.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Oh and best of luck with the rest of those little cuties!!!!!

4. deerhunterblp

deerhunterblp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Batesville, Arkansas
    Mine got cold also and I lost quite a few. I didn't tell them all that died because I hadn't ever ordered before and was afraid they wouldnt' refund any if so many died.

5. Chickenfeet

Chickenfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Cleveland, Ga.
    Quote:I am sooooo sorry for your loss..!! I recently lost my most favorite rooster, I know how bad it hurts!!
    CHICKENSIOUX , your passage is beautiful!!!
    [​IMG]

6. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    kezzie so sorry for your bad experience [​IMG] focus on the beautiful babies you have now though [​IMG]
    chichensioux what an awsome quote. i wrote it down to share with friends who i'm sure will appreciate it as much as i am right now. we just lost the 1st chick hatch by our bo today. [​IMG] [​IMG] the words are perfect to put things in perspective for us right now. we are focusing on the 3 eggs she has left [​IMG] hopefuly she gets at least one for all her troubles. [​IMG]
    best wishes to all

7. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    So sorry the chicks died. I had only ordered 5 and 2 died. I even had taken pics of them when I still had hopes of them surviving and now I get so sad seeing the pictures of my beautiful little ones that didn't make it. And I wonder if I should have tried harder. Maybe there as something I didn't do enough of to safe them?

On a brighter note: I love your Delaware chick! How cute!

8. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Thanks all! Would someone mind looking at my "Delaware" chick and telling me if that is what it really is? The pictures I've seen don't show black markings on the wings.

thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by