Pictures of our recycled swing set coop in N. Illinois.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sasimpson77, Dec 28, 2013.

1. sasimpson77

sasimpson77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Hi thought I would post pictures of the coop we built out of a abandoned wooden Fort swingset I love how it turned out.

Originally the fort part Iwas pretty tall but we lowered it about 18 inches and the A frame swingset portion with additional support and a covering of chicken wire made a great out door run. Our chickens do free range during the day other wise I would have made it bigger. This is still very much a work in progress but it is solid for winter and in the spring permanent nest boxes, and siding will be added probably going to to build one if not two more coops next summer also for now we are getting ready to hatch some eggs.
    [​IMG]
    1. When we first started after we lowered the fort portion.

[​IMG]
    2. Walls are up around fort and doors. Putting wire over A frame. The neighbors pitched in as well as the dogs lol.
    [​IMG]
    3. How it looks now.
    [​IMG]
    4. Plan is to have nest boxes inside these doors so we can easily access eggs from outside.
    [​IMG]
    5. Even used ladders from fort they make great roosts see the steering wheel so the chickens can drive.
    [​IMG]
    5. Door for cleaning and accessing food and water.
    [​IMG]
    6. Under the fort the chickens love this area as there is never snow there.

2. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    [​IMG]

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Good re-use

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Nice coop, neat re-purposing idea, nice how all the swing set parts actually make good chicken coop parts.

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Really great way to repurpose the swing/fort. Love how it turned out. Congratulations!

6. sasimpson77

Dec 28, 2013
    Ty everyone I am open to any suggestions you may have.

7. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Great idea and execution. Do you have anything painted on the particle board to keep rain and snow from rotting it?

8. sasimpson77

Dec 28, 2013
    unfortuantly I barely got it put together befor winter but I plan on putting siding on it come spring.

9. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nicely done!

Had I been a bit more farsighted, Ok perhaps clairvoyant would be a better word, I may have gotten rid of the daughters & kept the swing set. I had no Idea just how troublesome 2 lil girls can be & chickens were not even a remote possibility at the time. [​IMG] Oh well, hindsight is, as they say always 20/20! [​IMG] The only piece that was reused was a broken main cross member the rest of the set was sold after the piece was replaced.[​IMG]

The bat box has never been occupied despite being mounted in the proper direction & height. Apparently the bats are taking the measurements from the roof top not the ground. [​IMG]

10. sasimpson77

Dec 28, 2013
    LOL yeah the I inherited the swingset when I bought the property but the took the swings off it, and with my kids 15, 13, and 10 they are a little old for the swingset. I still have a bright yellow plastic slide I have not figured out a use for any thoughts lol. Already thinking about building another coop for next year maybe bigger???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by