*pictures of pasty butt??*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tripp16, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi everyone I have one chick his/ her butt looks different than the others.....so I was wondering could anyone post a picture of what it looks like on a chick so I can compare?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

No pics. But the vent is right under the little crease of the tail...if there is poop globbed up there blocking the opening, then it's pasty butt. If there is a patch about a half inch down below the vent, don't touch that - it's scab.

eta - you can look up pasty butt on youtube and you might find videos...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No photos, but it is brown clump on their rear. You'd know it if you see it.

Got a chick for free from TSC a few years back. Pointed out the pasty rear. When I got the chick home, I just held its rear under running, tepid water. It takes a bit to soften the turd, which can be hard as cement. After a bit, Do Not Pull. You don't want to pull feathers off and cause pain. Just soak it under the water until you can squish it between your fingers. Down the drain it goes. Dry the little tush with a paper towel by dabbing. Then, lube the area with olive oil or vasoline. These are not cures, but rather help the next time not be so sticky. Yes, there's usually a next time.

Causes? Debatable, but I believe de-hydration and excess heat is a major cause. The two are related as well. Sticky sugars added to drinking water isn't helpful either, in my opinion. Mother Hens have never led their chicks to a sugarized pool of water anywhere that I have ever seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by