Pictures of Peafowls in various Zoos I visited [New Pics]

DreamBird

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
New Caledonia
Hello peafowl lovers !

Since I don't own any peafowl, and won't own any before at least 7 years, I thought I might at least share some photos I got of peafowls in some Zoos I visited.
I must admit, I used to visit a Zoo to see the lizards and the felines, not really caring about the free-ranged peafowls wandering around. Now I don't really pay attention to the other animals and I only look at the peafowls, trying to approach them as cautiously as possible to get close to them. The closer the better ! ~

Anyways, here are some pictures I took of Indian Blue Peafowls at the Alma Park Zoo, in Australia :

Saw this guy chillin' in the llama enclosure, I really liked the looks of his train
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i0389.jpg

He got up eventually, and I couldn't help myself ; I had to press the button ! Wondering why he has got white flight feathers though ? But it looks really pretty on him !
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i0394.jpg

That's him again ! They didn't have many peafowls there, so I'm not really surprised we met several times. Still those white flight feathers ~
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i039y.jpg

Me and my dad kept walking for a bit and I noticed that peahen flaring her tail, she was, I think, trying to intimidate the ravens close by, since there was food on the ground. I loved how she was holding a leave in her beak while doing so !
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i03am.jpg

In the evening, while leaving the Zoo, I asked dad to stop the car as I saw those two perching
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i03ba.jpg

I tried to get a close up, but heh, I'm not very good at this
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i037h.jpg

I got many others, but those have to be my faves from Alma Park Zoo. Later in this thread I will upload pictures of peafowls at my local zoo, I regularly visit the Zoo to check on the peafowls, and see how they are doing. But for now, I just wanted to at least share the Australia pictures with you all.
big_smile.png

I know it's nothing much, but I hope they are still enjoyable. ;u;

Last edited:
Gorgeous birds, Thanks for sharing! I would have been following them around too, using up my whole memory card on them lol. I can't wait 'til my young IB man looks that handsome with a full length train!

Completely guessing here, since I'm just getting into Peafowl and also just starting to learn how the White and Pied genes work, but there are quite a few breeding combinations that can produce the white flights; IB Pied X IB Pied, IB Pied X IB Dark Pied, IB Dark Pied X IB Dark Pied and White X IB (and there's probably even more combos than that)... So my uneducated/inexperienced guess is that he is a Dark Pied, since he is lacking the white throat latch (or maybe it's just a little tiny one I can't see in the pics?). Like I said I am guessing, and probably wrong, lol. I'm sure the pros will chime in and have a much better answer.

I have read that Peahens can/will/do display when on the defensive... be it over food, territory, fear, a nest, baby chicks, hormones (lol)...etc. I found out today up close and in person that my new, and very feral IB Peahen has no problem hissing and displaying at me when I get too close to her while cleaning up after her, lol. She's a pretty grouchy old lady, even tho I have been spoiling her rotten with all kinds of yummy nutritious treats, sigh
hmm.png

Last edited:
Great photographs. My favorite is the fifth one. I am glad to see you here! Have fun on BYC!
big_smile.png

The peacock with white flights is probably just split to white, as most zoos don't have pied birds, but he could be dark pied (which is split to pied) if they do have pieds.
wink.png

I know what you mean about only looking for the peafowl at the zoo. A lot of times I would spend most of my time starring at the peafowl and trying to find them rather than the other animals.

Thank you everyone ! ~

@PeepsCA I thought something with pied as well. Though well, I know less than you on the matter so I was just : "something pied" thinking
lol.png
. But indeed he didn't have the white throat latch. I'm sure your peahen will get used to you -you said she was new ?- ! Oh if only I had my own peafowls, I would certainly do my nest to spend as much time as possible with them as I could.

@Kuntrygirl Oh I'll be looking forward to some pictures if possible then !

@Mahonri Thank you very much ! ~

@MinxFox That's thanks to you, so, a big thank you to you for recommending me the forum ! I'm thinking he might be of the two you mentioned indeed. I didn't think of the split to white though, but it seems likely. In any way it's pretty
big_smile.png

Exactly, wandering around in the zoo looking for them, yep !

I'll be posting a bit more pictures, as I will now share some of the photos I took at my local zoo. What's funny, is that the peafowls there used to belong to my grandma's sister, so in a way, I can't help but consider them "mine" or, part of my pet family anyway, if I make sense.
lol.png
I wish she gave them to me instead of the zoo but...No room at home
sad.png

I will probably update in a bit ~

Yeah I found out that the peafowl at our local zoo are from my friend's Grandpa. That reminds me of how I felt when I learned that my grandparents stopped keeping horses when I was born because my half sister didn't really enjoy the horse they got her so they thought I wouldn't like horses. Well...I love horses so I thought that was really too bad.

Quote:
Funny how we happen to learn they are linked to us in a way
big_smile.png

I love horses as well, I've always wanted to have one, and...I can totally imagine how it must have felt. Probably I would have felt it was a shame and certainly more than that just like you.
hmm.png

Thankfully you got your peafowls now though :'D

Those are going to be pictures from our first visit to the Zoo this year, which was on the 30th of July, and the second visit which was two months or so later. The boys didn't have too long trains at first, it was sort of funny to see.
There are going to be lots of pictures following by the way, but if I must, then I will edit the post and post the pictures separately
smile.png

From our first visit - July 30th 2011

This guy's got white flight feathers as well, though it cannot be seen in this one. Since I like to give them names, I called this one Youshi
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i2uvj.jpg

This white one I immediately called Shen. I think he didn't really want me around, he kept running away, unlike the others.
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i2uw0.jpg

That's Youshi again, met him by the big pond. I noticed this very little white part on his neck, and since he's got white flight feathers, does it make him Split to white ?
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i2uwu.jpg

untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i2uxy.jpg

I haven't named this one, I was busy approaching him as much as I could
lol.png
And he let me come quite close :3
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i2uyt.jpg

untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i2v0d.jpg

Caught this guy in a tree by the flamingos zone
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i2v1i.jpg

Woop, that's Shen again.
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i2v2x.jpg

From our second visit - October 2nd 2011

Went to see the fowls again, I can't get enough !
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30w4.jpg

After a few minutes of walking, I took a picture of this guy preening
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30hs.jpg

Then I went to the ducks enclosure, and saw this peacock chillin' a bit. Obviously their trains got longer, it was nice ! Close by there was a train feather, and I jumped over the fence and picked it
lol.png
Though we can't see it in this one
hmm.png

untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30x7.jpg

I don't know what kind of bird it is, but they kept looking at each other for quite a long amount of time
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30y8.jpg

Turning left, that peacock was asking for some preening. But the peahen didn't do a thing, she just looked at him for a few, nothing else. Poor guy.
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30oy.jpg

Only later did I notice the two young ones coming out
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30zg.jpg

It wasn't long until they got out of the enclosure, and one already displayed for a peahen
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30v6.png

But he looked really funny compared to the adult not that far. Poor him, he had broken feathers.
sad.png
But still he looked handsome !
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30qc.jpg

Then I followed the other young boy to an hallway where there was the one I like to call King, because he looks like the alpha when he is with the others
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30jy.jpg

And the young guy stayed close by, close to King
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30it.jpg

Later on, I saw Aoman, the white peacock in the following picture, with a peahen. It was funny, because they looked like they were chatting
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i3107.jpg

"Wait, come back ! I'm sorry I said that !"
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i3116.jpg

That's Bingwen. This peacock looked a bit like the lonely kind, he would rarely let the other peafowls approach him. The East side of the pond/lake seems to be his, since he is always there and always chases other peafowls away. But he does wander on the West side from time to time.
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30na.jpg

The thing that made me a bit upset was that he looked like his right eye hurt, he never opened it completely
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30lx.jpg

I don't know what's with his eye, but he'd shake his head often because of it. But nevertheless, he really is a beautiful White peacock.
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30kz.jpg

On the other side of the lake, I met Youshi again. Remember him ?
big_smile.png

untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30o2.jpg

And in the evening, Bingwen was in a tree on the West Side of the lake.
untitled_by_sinistereternity-d4i30rb.jpg

I'm really sorry for the long post, I hope it's fine by you all...Again if needed, I will repost this all differently.
smile.png

I hope you enjoy the pictures, I'm sorry I'm not a pro photographer, but I try to do my best to take as good as possible pictures. ;w;
I will post the ones from my third visit next time. C;

I love how you have given all of them names! Your local zoo looks really beautiful. I wish our local zoo was nicer looking. They closed down and got rid of a lot of their animals so then someone new took over our zoo and since most of the animals were already sent to other zoos our zoo isn't like it used to be and there are way less peafowl. I like Bingwin, he looks very chill. Sometimes I think peafowl are good at finding beautiful places to hang out at.

Quote:
I can't help myself regarding the names !
And well, our Zoo is okay I guess, though it's more a park than a Zoo, as it's a bit smaller. Well about the peafowls at your zoo, I hope they can have some chicks in the near future !
big_smile.png

Bingwen's pretty much calm as long as there are no other males in his "territory". I agree, they go to pretty places and give you a nice opportunity to take a nice picture with your camera then. ~

Back
Top Bottom