Pictures of Peep today

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Jul 24, 2011.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Peep has grown a lot and is starting to get some color. I think Peep is a male so now I just need to start thinking of names...Peep now spends the day outside in a nice big wire pen. Tomorrow we will get a white peachick that can join him in there but he doesn't get too lonely when I am not out there with him. The bird feeder is a few feet away so Peep watches all the wild birds fly around and eat so that is pretty entertaining for him. Once it gets pretty dark we take him inside. The pen we have him in we bought at the feed store but we added the wire bottom. I think it was meant for chickens because it has four small little nest boxes in it but Peep uses the nest boxes to sleep in and on. Peep still is getting used to the wire floor.

This is the pen:
    [​IMG]

Here is Peep coming out of one of the nest boxes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A close up of his face:
    [​IMG]

Here is Peep's back:
    [​IMG]

This is a wing picture you can see his white wing feathers. I think he might have white under his beak too, when he gets older I will be able to tell for sure.
    [​IMG]

His cute little tail:
    [​IMG]

He lets me rub his neck and doesn't bite me when I do that so I guess he is fine with it.
    [​IMG]

This picture with my hand on him kinda shows how big he is now. He is busy eating.
    [​IMG]

Peep on my arm.
    [​IMG]

Getting a drink...I remember when I worried about him when I first took all the marbles out of his water, but I know he understands about drinking his water now.
    [​IMG]

Almost every time I go outside to visit Peep he starts displaying at some point. Here he is displaying and pecking my hand.
    [​IMG]

My dad's friend has two adult peacocks that him and his wife raised and he warned us that it might be cute now to have Peep on my arm and everything but it isn't as fun when you have an adult peacock trying to fly on top of your head. His peacocks follow them around all over the yard and beg for food. Maybe I am creating a little monster here but I do love Peep a lot. I guess you need at least one peafowl that is really people friendly to make things interesting.[​IMG]

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    He's so adorable! They told me that as well about the adult peafowl not being cute trying to land on you... but secretly I think it's just as fun >.> Just train them to go for the arm and not the head!

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Not sure thats a male little early to tell, check some of the new feathers that come in on the back, see if they have barring.

Warning i have a peacock that is imprint on humans, sweet as can be , until breeding season, then he will attack me (guess he think i'm a peacock) if i get near his peahen removing eggs. Only one that has ever attack me , will over 100s of males i have had. just picture a peacock with a full train , hitting me up side the head, i left that pen that first attack, blood dripping. [​IMG] He got me by surprise because he alway follows me around ,eat out of my hand, was alway walking right next to me. Now i had to kick him that day, blooded legs ,arms, ear and neck ...I WON but looked like i had been in a bar fight. Got smart now during breeding season i use a leaf rake, one time , now he will leave me alone if he see the rake. That time of the year he will be my sweet peacock again until spring. he is so tame after breeding season ,my grandson calls him his buddy , can can walk right up to him and pet him.

4. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Deerman that is just want I am afraid of. I was planning on free-ranging Peep, would he not be so aggressive if he was free-range? I haven't been letting him get on my head at all so hopefully he will never do that as an adult. He does like to perch on my shoulder. Peep doesn't like my mom...He bit her giving her a small nick and it was bleeding...

I just keep Peep away from my mom. He is nice to everyone else though. My friends are all wanting to stay for a day to play with the peachick.[​IMG]

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    WoW he got big fast [​IMG]

6. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I know he looks bigger almost every day! His feathers are so soft and I am glad that Peep seems to do a good job preening. His feathers don't look all scruffy like they used to when he was younger so I think he has gotten pretty good at taking care of them.[​IMG] I like my birds well groomed lol.[​IMG]

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    that last pic , looks like new feathers coming in on the back have barring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by