1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pictures of Raised Coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jettgirl24, Jan 9, 2011.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I'm working hard on planning my new coops and I would love some examples of what other people have done. I'm going to do a large raised coop built out of pallets - 8' wide by 18' long. It will be divided into three separate pens with each section being 6'x8'.

I've seen many pictures of small raised coops but I'm hoping some of you guys have built larger raised coop projects. I recall two really nice BIG raised coops, one of them a pallet coop, that I would love to see pictures of again but I can't find the posts for the life of me!

I would also love to see pictures of the inside layout of your raised coops. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to set everything up on the inside. The only thing I've got set right now is that the next boxes will be on the back wall.

To get an idea of what I'm planning I'm adding the picture below. I drew it up quickly using paint so the scale is likely way off [​IMG] The coop is going to be built into an existing terrace/rockery area so it will have taller legs on the front that reach to the ground and then sit about 6" off the terrace ground in the back. I'm going to install a large door (4' x 4') on the taller front side that I will be able to open up for easy cleaning access. A pop door will be built into the larger door for the birds to get into and out of the run. I'm also going to build external nest boxes for each pen onto the back. I haven't quite figured out the feeders and waterers yet but I am working on it. Any suggestions for that are appreciated! The gray areas in the picture are ventilation strips. I'm going to make covers for them that drop down so that I can adjust as necessary depending on weather/temperature. The ones on the front will be almost 2' wide and run the full length of the coop. As you can see from the picture the vents on the side will be triangular with the largest end being almost 2' wide.

[​IMG]

Just thought of something I should mention, the back of the actual coop is 4' plus 6" tall legs, the front is 6' plus about 2.5' tall legs.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    [​IMG]

3. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Anyone??? I would love some inspiration [​IMG]

4. cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2010
    Dover, Arkansas
    Checkout my BYC page. The coop is not completely finished yet but it is a good reference. You can take the coop design and double the plan for a larger coop.
    I wish you the best, and just have fun with it.

5. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Our coop and run:
    [​IMG]
    I like our raised coop so I can use the area underneath for more run space. We roofed the run as well since it looks nice, gives them shade in summer, and keeps the run really nice and dry.
    On the end the entire side opens up for cleaning and nest boxes. They use the nest boxes every day, and the ease of cleaning is really nice.
    [​IMG]

Here is is NOT covered in snow. We built the deck so we would have a place to sit and watch the chickens and so I would have a sturdy structure to stand on when cleaning the coop out.
    [​IMG]

6. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i can't post pics on here. but my coop is simialar to kla37. the only difference for mine is that the outer coop walls (3 sides only), they reach all the way to the ground for added preditor protection and to get out of the weather if they don't want to be inside. this way, they are still outside, but kinda inside.

7. tlagnhoj

tlagnhoj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Indy
    Quote:I absolutely LOVE this design. I'm struggling between a few design options and I think these pics have just about sealed it for me.

Just a few questions: What are the dimensions of the run area and coop? Do you have electric run to the coop? How does it fare for maintaining heat for the birds in the winter?

Thanks.

8. HenPecked_bychildren

HenPecked_bychildren Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see the whole one side is hinged for easy cleaning and we also hinged the back of the opposite side so we could get into the roosting area.

This coop is 3x8 and houses 5 hens, but could fit another if we had more roosting space. When our babies get bigger these hens will be moved to the big coop to allow the babies to grow up in this coop.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    How are you going to get in there to clean it out? With those dimensions, you won't be able to reach in all the way to the back. You're going to have to use long handled tools or climb in there yourself.

I think that may be one reason why a raised coop (as opposed to a walk in coop) is usually not more than about 4 feet deep. You can make it as wide as you want if the front wall opens up completely so you can easily reach in even to the back.

The area under the raised coop is very large and you won't easily be able to clean under there, either. If you need to get a chicken hiding under there sometime, it's going to be a very nasty crawl.

Notice, also, that on rainy days you'll be standing in runoff from the roof as you access your nestboxes. Just something to think about.

10. QH Girl

QH Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My chickies loved hanging out underneath my raised coop when it got so hot this summer -

From the front
    [​IMG]

from the back
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by