1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pictures of silkies!!! NEEDS JUDGING!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joe17, Nov 25, 2009.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have a few silkies and I would like to know what quality they are. I am new so I don't know what they should look like. They are very young but I would still like everyone's input. They are probably pet quality [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
  3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    thanxxx!!!! It is such a head ache uploadin those pics.

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    They look like pet quality.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Definately pet quality.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yep they look like hatchery stock but are very cute and will bring you much joy I am sure [​IMG]

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    We have not yet got into showing birds, so I could be wrong, but when we showed cows and horses at the 4-H level there was always a class where you were judged on YOUR ability to manage and handle your livestock - It was called Showmanship. In that class the perfection of your breed did not matter. You may want to choose one of these birds for that show class. Also in 4-H pet quality is sometimes good enough to get started with in shows and then you learn what to breed for from there.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    They are too young to tell for sure what their quality will be. I had a couple of boys that looked much like yours. A few months later they bloomed into very nice birds. I cannot say that that will also happen with yours. What I am saying is wait and see.

Yes, most shows include showmanship, however the quality of the bird does sometimes matter--it depends on the show, and if 4-H, the leaders.

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree with Sonoran Silkies ( Too young to judge the quality) A Silkie changes alot over time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by