1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pictures of Speckled Sussex/Light Brahma chicks???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Winter, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Winter

Winter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Hi. I have just received my hatchery order. I was supposed to receive 5 of each:
    EE, Buff Rocks, Speckled Sussex, Light Brahmas, Salmon Favorelles.

The hatchery included one free exotic and one extra Rock.

I know for sure the ten birds that are the brahma/favorelles. I am concerned that the Brahma's look dark grey, I thought light brahma chicks would be more yellow.

Anyhow, that leaves 17 birds that I can't tell apart. There are 8 yellow chicks. One has a tiny bit of grey on it's head and 6 seem to have a more dark gold head. I think the dark gold ones are the buff rocks, the one with the grey is either free exotic or EE and the other is a mystery.
    Then there are few light chipmunk looking ones and a few darker grey/black/brown chipmunk ones. Then there are a few really fluffy ones with dark grey/gold highlights.

How can I tell which are the EE and which are the Sussex???
    Thanks for any advice.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The EEs and the sussex should have different type combs...the EEs will have pea combs and the Sussex single row combs.

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    They look the same as chicks to me that young. The sussex have white legs, the ee green. I hope that helps!

4. Winter

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks!
    What about my 'light' brahmas...they are basically grey with yellow under their faces, I thought they would be all yellow with a grey patch on their backs.

The legs will be different colours? I will try that.

I am supposed to sell 2 sussex to someone but I don't want to give them the wrong birds....how soon do you think it will be easier to tell.

They are soooo cute.

Thanks again![​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    My sussex chicks, the combs were conspicuously single combs (would have been distinctively not-EE-like) at about a week. The legs were white/pink right from the beginning. This is at, I think, not quite a week old:

[​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat (edited to add, after looking at that photo: my GOSH they've grown so much in just a month! :0)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Light brahma chicks should be light yellow with grayish colors on their heads & butts. Not all over grey...unless I misunderstood you...do you have any pics of the brahma babies?

Is it possible they sent you Dark Brahmas by accident?

Here's a link to a bunch of brahma babies:

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Brahma/BRKBrChix.html

Which hatchery was this?

Thanks!

~Heather

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  7. Winter

Apr 2, 2008
    Thank you so much for that picture of the SS baby!!
    I totally had them backwards, all the ones I thought were EE are the Sussex. The 'lighter' chipmunk ones!!

As for the brahmas, that link is perfect!! Mine honestly look most like the buff, but they are supposed to be light. They don't really look like any of those...I will post a picture later tonight.
    I wonder if the hatchery sent me the wrong ones?! I would be so sad, I wanted a lovely white hen so bad. They are super cute chicks though, much fluffier than the others!

8. Xival Knievel

Xival Knievel Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Hi, I am a beginner at this but I do have one EE and one Speckeled Sussex amongst my 5- 4 week olds (first ever chicks!). I can tell you that what has already been said about the combs and legs is true with mine, but also my sussex was/is a much darker chocolatey color with a white chest (same with all the other sussex's I picked her out from) vs. the EE's I saw that were all a bit lighter in color- more brown/orangey and I didn't see any with the white chest. Hope that's helpful!

-Kerry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by