Pictures of suburban set ups?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by newchknmama, Apr 7, 2011.

1. newchknmama

newchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    We live in a subdivision.. a quarter of an acre and I have 5 chickies. Id like to see what others have done on thier small lots ie < an acre. My husband is worried about our little plot of land looking trashy and I keep assuring him we can keep it manicured and still have the chickens.. so please show me what you have for a set up and that it can be done tastefully. We will save the barnyard feel when we get the larger plot of land we want [​IMG]

2. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    This is my coop (before it was painted mint green, pink trim and white doors). It's about 6' x 4' with a 1' nest box extension off the back, mini barn style door in front, full size door on the side for easy access to clean. I only have a 1/4 acre myself. The chicken area is fenced in with picket fence. It appears at first glance to just be a cute playhouse and yard for kids. I have hardware cloth along the inside of the fence you can barely see to keep the chickens from squeezing through and pooping all over the non-chicken areas of my yard.
    [​IMG]

3. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Hidden away in the side yard. 30' x 11'

[​IMG]

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Pharmy, that setup is gorgeous!!!

5. newchknmama

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    These are both great! Thanks! Keep em coming! Pharm Girl I am in ID so not too far [​IMG]

6. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

going to try to upload a picture of my coop tonight. but i have pics on my BYC page. Now it's all landscaped and pretty. I'm PROUD!!!!!!

7. rbagdon

rbagdon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Newton, NJ
    Just finished this one last weekend, first one was only 2'x4'. Needed to give them more space so the new coop is 4'x8' with a 10'x10' run.
    I used some lexan I had to let some light in at the top. I am very new to having chickens and any input or advice would be appreciated.
    Looking forward to the first fresh eggs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. alhanse77

alhanse77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Rexburg, ID
    [​IMG]

We also live on 1/4 acre lot. Ours is a small, nicely painted, ark-style coop as to not annoy the neighbors that have to look into our yard. Where in ID are you at?

9. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    here is my coop
    [​IMG]
    there are some more pics on my page

10. newchknmama

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    We live in Middleton outside of Boise. Love it here [​IMG] Nice ark! I like it! how long is that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by