Pictures of the new flock! (Very picture heavy!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jendodd79, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    Getting settled in the brooder! I have 14 Blue Wheaten Americaunas (The yellow guys, plus one golden and one brown)
    [​IMG]
    5 Lavender Orpington (The grey ones)
    [​IMG]
    5 Black Copper Marans (Black with the fuzzy yellow underside)
    [​IMG]
    4 Red Laced Blue Wyandottes (The chipmunks!)
    [​IMG]
    Stretching it out :)
    [​IMG]
    My favourite so far - the golden Americauna
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wyandottes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My daughter and her favourite. A brown Americauna that I'm sure just hatched yesterday morning. It had a bad run this morning but seems to be getting stronger. It won't lay down though! Good thoughts for pullet with this one, I have no idea how I'll get "Little One" away from her if it is a roo!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Another big stretch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Wyandottes just stare me down with that look
    [​IMG]
    The Americauna wing feathers just started coming in this afternoon - so cute!
    [​IMG]
    Our one random Light Sussex on the far right. It's so homely compared to the other ones!
    [​IMG]
    2 Americaunas have a chipmunk stripe!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Little One" Standing up to sleep
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Oh my goodness! The absolutely beautiful squishiness of baby chicks! Who can resist? Girly thoughts being sent on behalf of Little One and your DD :)

3. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    I'm feeling extremely addicted and wondering how I can continue to raise chicks on a very tight bylaw... Move me to the country!!

4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    That's quiet a flock you have.They certainly are a bunch of cuties. Makes me want to get more but I'm already at my limit. That's what causes chicken math! Don't get too excited the first time you catch them dust bathing in the bedding.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  5. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful chicks, all of them! However, the one your daughter is holding threw me for a loop, and then a double-take. Does that chick have blue eyes or is it the camera angle??

I didn't know chicks/chickens could have blue eyes...I always thought that all chicks popped out with beady little black eyes! How come its eyes are blue? I want one of those!
    [​IMG]

6. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    Hmmmmmm!!! I'll check again! It was all natural light, so nothing throwing off the colour from the flash - will let you know!

7. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I think it's probably just the lighting and the chick, now that I look again. It looks like it has a black pupil with blue iris..but I think the part that looks blue to me might just be the flesh outlining the eye (the eyelid) hehe. Either way that picture is my fave.. <3 it.

8. rambunctious

rambunctious Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Ohio
    Those Lavender Orps are SO STINKING CUTE! (as are they all!) where did you get them??

9. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    This makes me want to RUN to the phone and order something fuzzy! Then run to the attic and get out all the brooder equipment I just put up there!

Keep us posted, and thanks for the pictures! Love those chipmunk stripes! THe photo of the chick in your daughter's hands is priceless!

Good luck with them, and wishing you lots of pullets!

MB

10. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    I got all of the chicks from Heidi at Greendale Heritage Farms. Loved the variety she has there!!!

Does anyone have any ideas as to why a chick might not lie down to sleep? We have one that just stands up all day! It doesn't have any wing feathers yet so I think it's younger than the others

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by