1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pictures of Turkey Vultures

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TheSitcomGirls, Jun 7, 2011.

1. TheSitcomGirls

TheSitcomGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Just wanted to post these pictures of the Vultures we have here in CT. Finally got some close enough to see the red head! I believe they are called Turkey Vultures. They have never gone after my chickens. When it is very windy they do fly lower and some of the chickens get a little nervous.....but nobody runs to hide. We have a group of three that hang out together. I have seen them go after red tailed hawks in their territory. I would be interested to know if anyone has had birds like this that do go after their chickens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    I assumed they eat primarily dead animals. I often see them on road kill.

3. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Yea I thought they only eat already dead animals? Do they attack live chickens!????

4. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I see them everyday. They fly pretty close over my backyard. Kinda scary, but they haven't bothered my chickens.[​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    As the guy who ran the raptor's seminar, no turkey vultures do not attack chickens, but they will eat DEAD animals. Takes too much effort for them to hunt. They do not have the talons to make their kill nor the streamlined body and flight feathers to make their stealth killings.

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Though I am sure that someone will say otherwise to prove me wrong, I have never heard of a turkey vulture attacking or harassing a healthy adult chicken. They are primarily scavengers and they lack the wicked killing talons and foot strength of other raptors (hawks, eagles, falcons, etc).

It is my opinion that turkey vultures are always beneficial to have around, rather than harmful. I welcome seeing them!

7. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    It is highly unlikely they will go after your birds. I saw 2 black vultures in front of the very busy road we live on a few weeks back. It was so cool, they were eating a dead squirrel. Here is a picÂ…

[​IMG]

8. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    no they like their food dead and rotting. We have tons of them and you can tell the turkey vultures by the wings almost looking like fingers...very seperated. Coll birds. Great pics!

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Vultures are uniquely adapted to the niche they hold in nature. Their feet do not possess the strength that raptors have so they can't kill anything. Their heads and necks have evolved to not having feathers for higienic reasons. Offal does stick to their skin like it would feathers and what little does is washed off with the first rain. Their feathers lack oils so the wash off very easy. Lacking oil they feather become very wet and they will have difficulty flying. that's why you will see vultures roosting with their wings splayed out to speed drying.
    They will often gorge themselves to the point of not being able to fly and will regurgitate until they return to takeoff weight. This ability also provides their primary defense method, projectile vomit. Take pictures but don't get too close. [​IMG]

10. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    oooh, thanks for the info Opa. Might explain why I saw them take off right before the heavy thunderstorm rolled in, prior to that, they were on my neighbor's roof sitting in the drizzle. Didn't know about the projectile vomit, I would have kept a larger distance between us. [​IMG]
    Quote:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by