Pictures of what a chicken looks like laying an egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cynthia12, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Went in to do regular morning things the other day, saw my pretty little Ameraucana peeking out at me from the nest, you know I just had to get a picture of her. Well, she was closer than I thought she was, so stayed and invaded her privacy. She didn't mind too much. [​IMG] Pictures coming.... hope this first picture will post right away.. she is peeking at me while pushing [​IMG]
    Here she is pushing pretty hard..making her cute little squeaky push noises [​IMG]
    Now she is standing up to push, and really making her squeaky noise.. notice why nest boxes need to be high enough for them to stand to push...I can see that she was sitting on "Little Reds" egg.. [​IMG]
    And there it is![​IMG]
    I think it's cute how they scoot it over to be by the other egg or eggs that were already there..she was happy where she put the egg..then left..no chicken song from this girl.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    aw, thats great. thanks for posting. and what a beautiful girl you have [​IMG]

3. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Thank you! Everyone always wants to know, what kind is she?? When I say blue, they say what? Or they ask..what's that gray bird, she's pretty. [​IMG]

4. MANOZ

MANOZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    if i may add to your post here is another view

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think they push the egg next to the other eggs because its a challenge.they're sizing each other's eggs up. lol

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  5. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Very cool pictures! Didn't know that about the nesting boxes needing to be high enough to allow them to push.

6. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Wow! Now that's a view! I've seen it on youtube, but not one here..lol... I think you are right..sizing up each others egg size..it sure looks like that's what my girl was doing..maybe that's why she isn't singing the egg song yet..she lays the smallest because she just started laying last month. [​IMG]

7. Bianca67

Bianca67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Cedar Springs, MI
    Very cool, thanks for the pics! [​IMG][​IMG]

8. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    One day last summer I pulled up a chair and watched for a couple hours so I could figure out which pullet laid which egg. It was quite interesting. I learned that chickens are not modest at all and didn't mind my getting up close and personal. Great pics - and a beautiful bird!

9. hockmangirl

hockmangirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Oh, owww! Makes you feel even more grateful for those eggs, doesn't it! Thank you my chickie's! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    My girls always yell at me... I guess even lady birds need privacy. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by