Pictures of what I think is my Buff Silkie Bantam

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pattee, Jun 2, 2008.

1. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I hope you all will let me know what you think.. and is she pet quality? (I don't care)
    Her wings look to spiky to be a silkie~but that's what I hope she is~ [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. purplebaby

purplebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    that is what my buff silkie looked like when she was younger!

3. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    She is a very pretty Silkie cross, sorry but she is not a pure breed Silkie. She has no crest, the wrong shape head and comb, and it looks like she only has 4 toes per foot.

She will make an excellent little broody hen.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, looks like a pet quality non crested non bearded buff silkie to me. Not all silkies are the feather dusters you see in pictures of show birds. Having a few solid or pointy wing feathers isn't a problem, and to my memory isn't a disqualification from sq birds either.

Here's a pic of the crestless boy I have that is better:
    [​IMG]

The rest look more like this:
    [​IMG]

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Looks like a PQ silkie, if it were a cross, it would, more than likely, be smooth feathered. Where did you get it?

6. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I'm no expert (at all!) but my 8 silkie babies have different feathering and certainly different looking heads. The feathers on their wings doesn't look like regular feathers, more like thick hair. Then again, mine are only 2 1/2 weeks so maybe they'll look different at this age. [​IMG]

7. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Julie, it could be a silkie cross. It could be more than a first generation. In the second generation the Silkie feathering comes back into the offspring. It also looks to be loosing its blueish leg color and is starting to turn green or a willow color. Id say she is at least a 2nd generation Silkie cross.

~Casey

8. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I'd say a definite silkie cross. And there have been many crosses I've seen that were first generation and had the silkie feathers. First off, no crest (I have never heard of a "crestless") but even that doesn't necessarily mean cross since many PQ silkies do not have much of a crest (but they usually have some ). But the skin color is wrong, the legs are too long, and there are only 4 toes.

9. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    So she's a cross, sold as a buff silkie bantam? Does that mean she won't look like a silkie??? [​IMG]

10. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    She wont have a crest if thats what your asking. She will look about like what she looks like right now. She will just mature and grow a little more.

~Casey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by