Pictures of your feeders.

chicken_angler

Coop Constructist
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
a house
I am interested in possibly making a bigger feeder for my chickens so i dont have to fill their current one twice a day. Can you guys please show some pictures of some of the bigger types of feeders(ones that I will be able to make). This site has been such a help. Thanks everyone- Chickenman8

I don't have pictures, but I bought 2 cheap--$6.00 each--plastic, window boxes at WalMart this past week. They are about 6 inches wide and about 36 inches long with removable bottoms. I attached several pieces of heavy wood to the bottoms to keep them from tipping over, snapped the bottoms back on and filled them with food. They are working great.
smile.png

We had left over 4" drain pipes from making a new septic line so we bought a few caps and an elbow to fit on one. We cut one 4' long and on one side cut a long trench about 3' long and 3" wide. Capped one end of that and put the elbow on the other end. We put a screw eye near the end to attach a chain and hang from ceiling. Then took another 3' and put on the other end of the elbow. We stood the one that wasn't trenched up against a wall and bolted it on to steady it, then we attached the chain to the ceiling. For 67 seven wk old chicks this is working well. I top off from the feeder each day just to keep them from running out but there is always food in it.
In another coop we are just going to use a 4' pipe with a cut trench and eyebolts next to each end cap and hang in the middle of the coop.
I saw this design on some else's website and loved it. Cheap, too! And easy enough for a woman to do since I started it before DH jumped in to help.
big_smile.png

I do not have pics but I used hooligan's method. I used a 5 gallon bucket and my husband drilled holes near the bottom. Please see pics from hooligan's post. Trust me, it works great and easy! I also put a lid on mine to prevent the girls from making deposits in the feed! Good luck!

Thanks guys for the great ideas. I think I will try the pipe method. It seems to work good and i have some leftover pipe in the garage. I will show a picture of it when its done.

-Chickenman8

Good luck making your pipe feeder! I really like ours.
We pondered about putting it against the wall or leaving it hanging out in the coop. Since we have so many we opted to have two sides to feed from. And it is super easy to clean if it gets nasty. Since we had left ours outside after finishing the septic line work I had to clean some dirt and mud out of it. Not a problem at all. DH wanted me to smooth the edges so the chicks wouldn't hurt themselves with sharp edges but I didn't think they felt sharp and haven't seen anyone hurt so far.
If I could post pics, or even resize them for that matter, I would show you but I am computer illiterate!
Good luck!
frow.gif

My feeders look like hooligans but i used a different feeder pan, taller by 2" and not as wide so my birds do not bill out the feed, i started with his type pan and the birds just wasted it. now there is not one speck of feed on the ground with the new pan, this is a great, inexspensive handy way to feed poultry, can't be beat.

AL

P.S.
My waters are made in the same basic way only slightly different, they also work super nice, 5 gal of clean water, last awhile.

Back
Top Bottom