Pictures of your ice prevention watering solutions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dominiques, Dec 30, 2012.

1. dominiques

dominiques Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    I've been reading about solutions for preventing water from freezing. I'm worried about an extension chord and heating element in a barn. Do any of you have photos of your water set up to post? If I see what you all do I may feel better about buying a heater for my waterer. Thanks!!

2. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

I use an aquarium aerator attached to a long filter stone at night to keep the ice off of my waterers (which are just the bottoms of 5 gal buckets cut at about 6 inches high). The bubbles will keep ice from forming across the top and also increases oxygen concentration, which keeps the water tasting fresh and, in turn, the chickens drink more water. I change the water @ noon and then again @ 9pm and it has yet to be frozen over from the cold Northern Michigan nights.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well i only have 4 so they get a small heated pet bowl, it's night here(or i'd do a pic) but i have a heavy duty extension cord running to the coop and down inside.

I use small heated buckets for the ducks, they have a separate line running into their barn to heat it, basically they are thermostatically controlled and with the use of heavy duty cords i don't worry... it can be done, you just have to take precautions and be sensible in your installations.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  4. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    I use a heated dog dish too. No picture - it is to cold to spend any time out there. The water hasn't frozen yet.

5. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    I will be using a heated rug (water safe) when my coop is rebuilt. This site is local to me however, read about it and if you like it you maybe able to find it by you... http://www.tempurtech.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by