Pictures Please! Coop Pictures and Info Please.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by strssdmom, Mar 23, 2013.

1. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I know there are posts on coops and a whole section on coops. What I would like to see is pictures of coops (old and new) (big or small) and the following information...

What are the dimensions of your coop?

How many chickens do you house in your coop?

Do you free range or run your chickens?

How often do you clean your coop?

What would you do different if you were just now starting with the knowledge you already have?

If you don't mind sharing, I would love to learn from your experience.

Thank you,
    Elizabeth [​IMG]

2. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Okay, I will start.

What are the dimensions of your coop? Ours is 8 x 12, or it will be when it is completed.

How many chickens do you house in your coop? We will be housing 24 egg layers.

Do you free range or run your chickens? For now we will be using a chicken run. Dimensions are still under debate.

How often do you clean your coop? Not built yet. Our girls are still in the brooder.

What would you do different if you were just now starting with the knowledge you already have? I will let you all know this next year. LOL

This is the latest pictures of our coop progress. It is a bit further along than this, but it has been too cold for me to want to go take new pictures. I will post them after this weekends work. So far we know it will have 10 nesting boxes, 5 windows, 2 vents, 1 vent fan, 2 30" doors (for easy cleaning), and two chicken doors leading to the soon to be built 2 chicken runs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elizabeth [​IMG]

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    We're in the process of building a larger coop as I started out last year with a chicken tractor. You might want to check out the following thread that has some great ideas. I started the thread last year and have gone back to it several times to read all the comments as we plan this new coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...at-would-you-have-changed-or-done-differently

Our new coop is 8 x 10. I only have 3 ladies now but we're getting chicks in a few weeks, probably only 6 more at this time. I can only have a max of 20 and am thinking I'd like to see one of the girls have babies in the future so I've got to leave a little "wiggle room" for the flock to grow.

I don't clean my coop very often as we use deep litter. Was amazed that worked even in the small tractor but it did great and I plan on doing the same in the new coop. We have had our girls in a movable paddock system but want to introduce free ranging after we get everyone moved to and used to the new coop.

My experience is limited as I've only been at this a little less than a year but that year has been a real eye-opener, for sure!

BTW, your coop looks AWESOME! Love the windows! We're planning as many windows as we can cram into the new coop. I'm a big fan of natural light and ventilation.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    Here is my coop:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by