*PICTURES* Red feet, scales loose, toenail missing....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenWisperer, Dec 9, 2010.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    The title basically covers it. I found my pumpkin today with one of her feet bleeding badly.... at first we thought the toe was gone, but I think the toenail is missing. We cleaned it with peroxide diluted in water and then put flour on it to help stop the bleeding.

Her feet are VERY red and the scales almost seem to be comming off..... I don't think she has legmites but I can take a pic if needed.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Any chance that rats could be getting to her during the night?

3. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    No. She sleeps on the second roost pole every night, there's no chance a rat could get up there. We do have field mice, but I don't think they could get up their either....

I don't think anyone else in the flock is having these problems. The new Dark Brahma had some of her foot feathers plucked out, but you know how integrating birds go.

She's inside the house now, warm and picking at treats. She's acting fine, considering.

4. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    how is your chicken?did you manage to get some picturs?

5. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    My first thought was scaly leg mites when you said scales falling off. I got an older hen from someone who had the red feet and the scale issue but was not missing toes. Make sure you stop the bleeding on that toe. Maybe try some flour. It helps.

If its scaly leg mites I would say vaseline since you have an open wound there. I usually use wd40 since I have feather footed ones but with an open wound I would avoid that.

6. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:No, not yet...

As an edit to the post, I don't think they are falling off - but they look "loose". I've looked at pictures with birds infected with the leg mites, and her feet aren't inflammed or swollen like the pictures. I'll get some pics up tomorrow, though.

We did use flour after we cleaned it with watered down peroxide. It worked like a charm!

I'm thinking now that we need to clip her talons... they are obscenely long and curved downward, which makes it hard for her to walk. Any tips on how to do that without hurting her further?

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Cutting their toenails is much like cutting a dog's. There will be a blood supply extending partway down the nail so you want to cut past this. If they are very long you will probably need to clip more than once. The blood supply is easier to see on the underside.

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Kinda sounds like her foot got stuck in something... [​IMG]

9. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Upon closer inspection, the food has a hard, attached "pad" on the bottom. Doesn't look like the case of bumblefoot I've had...

Bad foot. Toenail on the outside GONE.
    [​IMG]

Picture of the "pad thing"
    [​IMG]

Both of the feet....
    [​IMG]

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] OUCH!! It doesn't look like the case of bumblefoot I've dealt with either, but I have to think that's what that huge crusty scab thing is. I think I'd soak and treat it as if it is bumblefoot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by