PICTURES - Serama chick with fowl pox. Very swollen eye/sinus how do I treat??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pdx2phx, Jan 12, 2014.

1. pdx2phx

pdx2phx Chased by Chickens

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    I have a couple of chicks that appear to have fowl pox. The chicks are about a month old. They are now inside. Two of them have developed dry pox lesions in the past 3 days, but same two also are breathing heavy so I'm checking their mouths/throats for wet pox lesions. I've been daubbing iodine on the lesions and watching them closely. I have used VetRX on nostrils to help with breathing but I don't know if it's really helping. They are eating and drinking, but not growing much.

One has horrible swelling around her eye, and what I believe is her sinus is badly swollen as well as her nostril, all on the same side. She keeps scratching her face on that side and is probably making the swelling worse. I don't know what to do to treat her eye/sinus, and am worried that she may blind herself, or that the pox (if it is somehow inside her eye) will blind her. What can I do to treat her or at least make her feel better until she can (hopefully) recover??

All around her eye is swollen, and the tissue from the corner of her eye toward the corner of her mouth. She doesn't have any visible lesions or issues inside her mouth. No infection smell. The matted feathers/orange is from the Betadyne. I have also used Terramycin (eye ointment) daily around her eye, hoping it might help prevent any secondary infection but it seems to bother her and cause even more scratching.

[​IMG]

I noticed she has a bubble in her eye! They don't show too well, but she's got lesions pretty much all around her eye and nostril. Some of the swelling is probably from her scratching her face with her foot.
    [​IMG]

Is there anything else I can do to treat symptoms or reduce swelling? Should I try and bandage her face (or her foot) so she can't scratch her eye?

I feel so badly, but as long as she's eating and drinking I don't want to cull her.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Weigh her daily and apply iodine to the lesions. Also check the inside of her mouth for pus.

3. pdx2phx

pdx2phx Chased by Chickens

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    Thank you. No pus or infection smell, but I don't know what's going on with her eye & sinus....it is so swollen. I don't know how (or if) it's possible to drain if there's fluid build up, or if it's just scar tissue or lesions inside her head somehow??

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You might want to try some antibiotics. Do you have any Baytril?

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They do get secondary infections sometimes with a pox outbreak.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by