1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*Pictures* The exquisive hen ._.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Frenzie, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    But of course, the FIRST day we get TWO brown eggs! One from our BA this morning.. and one from my RIR! (Just started last week but layed like every 4 days!) But of course, once I get in there they all say hello! Then my borther told me we got two big eggs. (Green & Brown) And I saw another brown one! (Not in the nesting box ._.) But still! But all of the sudden the chicken who layed the egg, Chessnut was poking her break inside of it and drinking the egg white! OH what shall I do I hope it doesn't happen tomorrow [​IMG] Here are some pictures of the broken egg. And when I pusshed her away from the egg she went back ._. Anything to do from stopping it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    that happens to mine from time to time. They lay and the eggs cracks open leaving a feast for them. I take it away immediately and add more bedding to laying boxes nice big egg [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We'll pray it's not an egg eater.

If it is an egg eater, you either have to get egg-roll away nests or make the hens into soup.

4. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    She hasn't done this before.. but yeah. Maybe she just waned to try it? Maybe she was thirsty? No.. I had water in there hmmm...
    But it was on top of the nesting boxes, by the water. Maybe she thought it was a food or something or it was in her way..? But thanks
    sonew123
    ^^ I'm going to go check if theres anymore eggs, or play with them. Or maybe give a lecture to Chessnut why eating eggs are bad ._. Wish me luck!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Put a golf ball or wooden egg in the nest. She pecks at that long enough, it will discourage her. Collect the real eggs as often as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by