PICTURES+White Watery Poo+Depressed Hen Tail Down

The Accidental Coop

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Central East Coast of Florida
Hello poultry experts! Please help me help my girls!

Please look at my photos and tell me what you think.

Photo #1 One pullet (5 months old) has had this for a few days...then today one of my older bantams (1-1/2 yrs) produced poo in photo #2.

#1 Pullet is acts fine.
#2 Older hen is lethargic with her tail pointing down. I am afraid we may loose her by morning
hit.gif

Switched to organic layer feed from commercial layer feed end of October.

Wormed with Wazine 11/26.

Disinfected coop 12/7

Treated all of the girls with Poultry All Natural Protector 12/7

Photo #1 Young Pullet

Photo #2 Older Hen

Last edited:
Hi Eggcessive,

Thank you for the links....Invaluable! .

The poop in the first photo looks like either malnutrition and too much water or Clostridium perfringens.

I truly hope I am not dealing with egg yolk peritonitis (photo 2)

I switched my girls to organic layer feed two months ago. They also free range during the day and I give them treats (tomatoes, yogurt, oats, etc.). However, when I picked them up today I noticed they all seem lighter. And...Only one hen is laying.

I now think I will put them back on regular layer feed. See if they gain any weight and start laying again....I hate to think I am starving my girls!

I do know that chicken poops can change with each time they go. If one is abnormal, then watch for others, and you can confine in a cage easily to do that. Also, every 9-10 poos are cecal poos, and they are very different looking. The thing about chicken feed that is most important is for it to be of good quality, not too powdery, liked by the chickens, and fresh. Some organic or more expensive feeds do not move fast on the shelf--just look at packing dates on the bag because vitamins can be lost as feed ages.

part0006.jpg
Does anyone know if this is a good or bad thing. It looks like a worm but not sure. The internet shows a lot of stringy worms. She was a stray & popped up our door one day, free ranging but protected & safe at night. She doesnt seem to like the feed or grit but we leave it out for her hoping she will eat that in addition to others stuff. Please help Other than that she appears healthy, very docile & friendly. Dont know if she is old or young. She only layed 1 tiny egg a few days ago. Nothing since.

View attachment 2319047 Does anyone know if this is a good or bad thing. It looks like a worm but not sure. The internet shows a lot of stringy worms. She was a stray & popped up our door one day, free ranging but protected & safe at night. She doesnt seem to like the feed or grit but we leave it out for her hoping she will eat that in addition to others stuff. Please help Other than that she appears healthy, very docile & friendly. Dont know if she is old or young. She only layed 1 tiny egg a few days ago. Nothing since.
Hi Patty. I would definitely start your own thread about this issue. More people can help you that way. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom