Pictures!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Southern28Chick, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I just love my new camera. I went out to the chicken yard to take pictures of the newly developing combs and wattles. I only got a couple of girls' pictures, I have 23 but most of them are camera shy. I got one of each breed except the RIRs. All my ladies will be 16 weeks on Monday.

I bet she'll be the first to lay. She's the only leghorn that is this developed. I've heard of "dude looks like a lady" but this lady looks like a dude.
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock. I have one out of the 6 that has a redder face and larger comb and wattles but she wouldn't let me take her picture.
    [​IMG]

Here's some more leghorns. They let me take as many pictures of them as I want. They're such good girls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's Bertha, an EE. I have 5 EEs and they are all getting redder in the face.
    [​IMG]

This is Banana. DH says she's a banana spider. She's been hanging around for almost a month now. She's very big and very pretty. Here's link about banana spiders: http://www.surviveoutdoors.com/reference/spiders/banana_spider.asp
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  2. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    Nice healthy looking birds you got there! That spider earns her keep I bet! I know the ones at my place do.

3. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Thanks! I try to keep them pretty and clean. I even pick their noses when they get to nasty. I can't help it, I do it to my cats too. [​IMG]

4. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose......but you can't pick your friend's nose! [​IMG]

5. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I'm chuckling about the nose picking comment... Those are really great pictures.

If I walked up on that spider, you'da thought I'd had a seizure. Just the pic gives me the heebie jeebies.

Edited because I was in a hurry.

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Great pics! I love those 'face in the camera' shots of chickens. The LOOK! Hee, hee!
    I love spiders also. I think they are utterly amazing.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Gorgeous pix & gorgeous gals!!! [​IMG]

We have those spiders here also but they are called garden, writing or orb spiders. They are one of my favorites!

Enjoy your new camera & keep those pix coming!

Dawn

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Yeah if you click on the link above the picture it says they're called banana or garden spiders. I didn't know they were poisonous until I found that link, I was right up on the spider. Good thing it was eating or I probably would have been bit.

9. Iamaqte

Iamaqte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Riegelsville, Pa
    They are some awesome pictures and beautiful birds. [​IMG]

Do you birds just sit there and let you take the pictures? It looks that way.. ur lucky - mine run unless i bring them food - then they will stay.. lol. Most of my pictures are from far away...

I feel your excitement though... I just got a new camera yesterday!! I have all weekend to play with it! YAY!!!

10. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    I always called those spiders writing spiders. My mom always told me that if you find your name written in the web it means you are going to die soon. :eek:
    So don't go lookin in the web for any names!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by