Piece of comb detached and dangling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Soot the silkie, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    This morning I found one of my hens had a weird thing dangling from her face, and when I investigated further, it turned out to be a big piece of her comb.
    [​IMG]
    I've had a chicken lose a piece of her comb before, but that time it just came straight off instead of just being ripped. I tried to wash off the blood and dirt, but this hen wasn't very happy about that, and was intent upon eating the Neosporin I was attempting to put on her wound.
    It doesn't seem swollen or infected at all, and I'm just wondering whether it's going to heal and she'll have a little turkeyish bit of comb, or is it going to rot and fall off?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It happens frequently and I've never found it to be more of a problem than cosmetic.
    Do you have a rooster?

3. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California

Okay that is what I thought. I do not have a rooster.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It will heal, probably without the separated part dying and falling off. However, her comb will never look the same again--the gap caused by the injury between the two parts of the comb won't close.

I would just watch it and make sure it doesn't get infected (unlikely, but still important to watch out for).

5. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California

Sounds good! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by