Piece of egg shell stuck to Baby Ducks Belly Button ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BackSwampGirl, Dec 13, 2008.

1. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    I have 3 new little ducks that will be a week tomorrow.One has a piece of egg shell stuck in its belly button.I had tried to get it out right after birth,but it started to bleed.I put some flour on it to stop bleeding.It did stop and now the piece of shell is stuck in there right on.It is a small piece.But when I try top take it off gently,it crys.Does anyone have any suggestions,Sandra

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Maybe a little dab of vaseline? It might soften and fall off.

3. purplepoen

purplepoen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    I ripped shell of a duckling once, it killed it. [​IMG] Just wait it out, it will come of in time.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's basically a foreign object, so I'd just give it time and the duck's body should naturally heal around it and it should fall off with the belly button nub thing.

5. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    Thanks so much for all you answering my ? I am not going to bother it.I don`t want it to die.It acts just fine and eats and drinks,runs,plays.And just loves to be loved.So I am thinking about just what all of you have said,leave it alone.And i think it is a little girl.She is the loudest.The drakes are usually the most quite.[​IMG] Thanks Sandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by