Pied Green Pheasants?

ABS9590

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2016
I'm not turning up very much about them and would like to know more if anyone knows of a breeder. I bought some eggs on E-bay and my first hatch didn't go well (entirely my fault) so I ordered another batch and if this hatch is successful I would like to find an unrelated bloodline and possibly purchase a pair of juveniles.

Not going to find many breeders of green pied pheasants. The best why to obtain them is to start you're own breeding program. Get some White Jumbo ringnecked pheasants and some Green melanistic pheasants and breed them to get a crossbred green pied bird. That's over simplified but I think you can understand the gest of the statement. I have seen the same auctions on eBay and those are the only ones I know about being offered. You might ask the seller where to find other breeders. I'm not on FB but there are quite a few breeders on there as well, you might find some that way.
I don't condemn nor promote crossbreeding as long as their not sold as pure breed birds.

Last edited:
So I just purchased 4 of these green pied pheasants myself! I’m very familiar with genetics from breeding show rabbits, but there’s very little information about pheasant genes. I’m assuming every mutation is recessive?

Unfortunately all 4 of the birds I purchased were roosters but I figured I couldn’t go wrong for < $10 a piece lol

Here's what the seller of my eggs said. Where did you get lucky enough to find them?
"Pied pheasants are harder to hatch and raise than non-pied. There is apparently a genetic defect in the pied gene that makes it so. I have 2 pens, one with a pied rooster and 2 straight green hens, and 1 with a green rooster and 2 pied hens. Breeding pied x pied gives little or no hatch so I recommend you don't do that if you try to breed them. Here are a couple of genetics sites that might tell you something."

http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page7.html

White and pied have similar genetics. https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v058n04/p0536-p0542a.pdf

I’ll definitly read those articles, thank you!
A friend I went to high school with whom I hadn’t spoke to in 12 years reached out to me, know that I raiddd animals. He offered me 4 green pieds (juv.), a blue ringneck (juv.), a black melanistic (large chick), and a Bianchi (large chivk$ for $50. He had spent over $200 in eggs this spring and most of his hatch was wiped out by a weasel, leaving him all roosters, so he gave me a good deal. Where are you located?

I’m assuming the piebald gene is similar to what is called Vienna in rabbits, paint in horses, and Merle in dogs- I know that in dogs and horses, it is lethal. So I’m assuming a similar biological factor is at play of double pied is unsuccessful.

Wow, terrible luck for him but great for you
Texas Panhandle
Makes sense, but I know almost nothing about genetics.

Back
Top Bottom