Pied or split to white chick?

blondie34

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Grand Rapids, OH
Hello friends! I don't have much experience with peachicks and was hoping some more seasoned peafowl owners/hatchers could give me their input on the color of this little guy.. I know some type of India Blue.. He's got white flights not sure if he's pied or just split to white..

This is my first year with birds old enough to mate .. I have a silver pied peacock and an IB split to white peacock in with a white hen and some IB hens ..I know some of my IB hens may be split to white too..

Well, some people may tell you its split pied but i think its split white.
I'm tending to lean that way as well because I suspect that this egg came from my white hen as she was the first to start laying a little over a month ago and I saw my oldest IB peacock after her quite often.. bummer I'd love to have a little pied baby though

Last edited:
Hello friends! I don't have much experience with peachicks and was hoping some more seasoned peafowl owners/hatchers could give me their input on the color of this little guy.. I know some type of India Blue.. He's got white flights not sure if he's pied or just split to white..

This is my first year with birds old enough to mate .. I have a silver pied peacock and an IB split to white peacock in with a white hen and some IB hens ..I know some of my IB hens may be split to white too..
Cute chick! Let me know what sex it ends up...

-Kathy

Cute chick! Let me know what sex it ends up...

-Kathy
Thanks Kathy! Will do. I'm just so excited to have a live chick .. I had terrible hatch rates this year.. I had a lot developing great that were active in their shells and just quit around days 26-29 and this is the only chick that made it out alive. After putting another calibrated thermometer and humidity monitor I believe my temp was too lo by about 2-3º ... not sure if that would kill them that late in the game but I figure it might have had something to do with it?

For future reference the only way to get a pied bird if you have a white bird is to breed said white bird to a pied or split pied. Pea colors are confusing because except under very rare circumstances, the colors do not blend together.

We just hatched #88 today out of #101 set with 26ea still under game hens. If you can start them naturally for a min 14 days (the longer the better) then move them to an incubator or hatcher you will see a higher ratio. Peas are so hard to hatch full term in a machine,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Back
Top Bottom