Pied Silkie & Spangled Silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sshrader, Apr 27, 2017.

1. sshrader

sshrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    I picked up some silkies from a breeder here in the Missouri area and got 3 chicks that he said will be pied and 2 that will be spangled, I cannot for the life of me find any pictures of what a Pied Silkie will look like. Does anyone have a picture of what one will look like, heck I cant even really find a good picture of a Pied chicken in general haha. Same goes for the spangled silkies. If anyone has ideas or pictures, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    He's likely sold you 3 splash silkies. They look like this:
    [​IMG]

3. sshrader

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    I bought some splashes from him before and they def aren't splash. These have little dots.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Oh how's cool is that?! I was speaking from experience, but if you've bought from him before that's different. Pied will still look very similar to a splash. The spangled will become blacker with age if it works like the Hamburg breed.

5. sshrader

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    Oh how cool! I'm excited to see how they look as they get older!

6. lrags517

lrags517 New Egg

Mar 27, 2017
    pied=piebald (think dairy cow)
    spangled=dotted (think Dalmatian)

Was the breeder Heartland Hatchery by chance? If so, it should come out looking somewhat like a splash, but each color will be more defined rather than blending in like a splash. The Spangled silkies are similar to The Pied silkies except the color splashes are smaller and appear more frequently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by