pied white eyed purple x purple split to white offspring question

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by birdeo, Aug 20, 2013.

1. birdeo

birdeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Have a friend that has a pied white eyed purple male bred to a purple hen split to white , they hatched some purple pieds ( am assuming, chicks are dark and light in different areas ) from this pair but also had a white chick hatch from this pair.
    If you breed the white chick to a white bird when it's of breeding age, will this mating produce any purples of any type or will the offspring from this future breeding result in just whites ?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. White to white will be all white. White masks all other colors.

3. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Knowing what the white truly is though, will be helpful
    in breeding.
    This white is actually a purple,
    & if it is a male, can be bred to get more purple
    hens with a group of blue hens.

Many people don't know what their whites actually are.

4. birdeo

Apr 11, 2013
    Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.
    The way I understand it per the sex link trait with these birds, per Amy's peacock paradise site ( I LOVE that ref . site ! ) is that a purple male bred to ANY "other than purple" type hen ( not just blue ) will produce 100 % purple hens and the male offspring will be India blue split to purple and the color of the hen.
    So, if this chick is a white ( in essence a purple ?) male and bred to a white hen then he will get India blue male chicks split to purple and white but he would also get purple hens from this mating ? If white masks all but this is truly a purple male that just appears white then what ?
    I just don't know and am not doubting anyone here, it's just that all this confuses me a LOT ! I prob. am not comprehending this correctly somewhere along the line, chances are !

5. No. If you breed any two visually white birds together, you will get all visually white chicks. No matter what underlying color they might be genetically. If it turns out to be male, you will need to breed it with a non-white hen or a split white hen to get any purple hens or non-white males.

You can look at the legg peafowl or hopkins livestock site for some basic genetics.

1 person likes this.
  6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    That is good to know I got 11 white peas left from this years hatch 2 are males for sure and I am pretty certin the rest are females, I am wanting to sell trios so this is great to know if someone wants whites only.

7. birdeo

Apr 11, 2013
    ok, thanks again...you're a great help ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by