Pig Bomb - On the Discovery Channel

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Boyd, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    It's about pigs.....

I'm watching this right now. I guess I never knew this was such a problem in the United States. I know in michigan they have an open unlimited season on private property, but from what I'm seeing, in the south you have to hunt them or risk running into problems on your farmland.

So the question is....... Who Hunts them, I've only done it once and enjoyed it... how hard compared to deer hunting? best tactics for hunting?

Thanks folks!!!!

2. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Well if your talking wild hogs....We use Great Danes to hunt them. Sometimes we use a pit/dane mix. GREAT hog dogs.

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    yeah, wild hogs..... on the tv, looks like they are using pits as "strikers" and the chasers look like some kind of small leggy dog.

The vests on the pits are amazing. Protect the dog from being gored, kind of like the vests people put on their retrievers when duck hunting except on steroids [​IMG]

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I've got four pigs, and they don't have tusks. (not wild) I can say I would NOT go pig-hunting without a very BIG shotgun, a very BIG backup shotgun, and a tank.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Nooo! not pig hunting boyd...

Just kidding.. [​IMG] Danes ARE a good dog for hunting boar..Actually i think thats what they origionally were bred for..(could be wrong though) [​IMG]

Whatever you do..be careful..a hurt or cornered hog will tear you up...Alot of dogs get tore up hog hunting..
    Even my sissy pot bellies wont back down from my huge Saint Bernards... I've had to step in to protect my dogs before... [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Hammie is getting tusks! [​IMG] It looks ugly!! [​IMG] And hes tried to swipe me with um too! *of course i knocked him on his butt and made him back down...* but still..they can hurt you..

7. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:Hammie is getting tusks! [​IMG] It looks ugly!! [​IMG] And hes tried to swipe me with um too! *of course i knocked him on his butt and made him back down...* but still..they can hurt you..

I don't think I could knock ours down on their butts. That's like pushing on a brick wall. The boy (he's cut) is going to the butcher soon. You know, just to look around.

8. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    They are very aggressive and will charge after you...

Dang, did you see those big pigs??? 1600 lbs? Thats alot of pork!!

9. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Quote:You are exactly right. That was their original purpose. They are hunting dogs. We have 1 that is a hunting dog. Our hunting friends have the others. They have super thick leather vests studded with SHARP spikes. You know those spiked collars people put on pit bulls to make them appear "tougher"? Well ALL our dogs wear those PLUS a vest covered in spikes. Dogs still can and DO get injured. And we can and do get injured too. You gotta be careful when the dogs go by you and be sure to not let them catch those vests on you. The worst part is...Danes are leaners. OUCH!
    I need to get some pics next time we take them out. They look like something from Star Wars or something.

10. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:1600 pounds? That's heavier than my steer, I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by