pig chickens....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rooneytune, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    So we got our first egg this week and switched from flock raiser to layer food. The flock raiser was in crumble form and the layer is in pellets. They seem to be eating it, but when I come out to the run they are all running to me waiting for their treats (new behavior) when I throw a handful of corn/ seed stuff they run for it like they have never seen food! [​IMG]:weee Is this normal? are they just sooo in love with their treats [​IMG] or are they really that hungry?

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

They may not be liking the new pelleted feed and are waiting for their treats and are indeed hungry by the time you come give them. I would hold off on the treats to make sre they are eating their food first.

3. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    They're probably having a little trouble switching feeds but that's normal. All of my hens run for scratch anyway. They love love love scratch!

4. Nicolette'sFarmette

Nicolette'sFarmette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    California!
    Layer crumble is also available instead of the pellets, that they might prefer. This is what I switched my girls over to from the starter feed...and they had no problems transitioning! Hope this helps [​IMG]

5. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Ours never did like the pellets. Crumble or mash they eat like it is a treat.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Mine did not take to the new pellets either. But new layer pellets is much cheaper than the previous source because I can purchase directly from the mill. So I kept up feeding it until they accepted it; but never relished it. My solution is to provide pellets all morning, then free range in the afternoon. THey eat it, but scratch is ALWAYS preferred! DH indulges them. LOL

7. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    My chickens wouldn't eat the pellets at first when I wanted to switch them. I started mixing half crumble and half pellets and added more pellets every week till it was nothing but pellets. I think It not being so dramatic of a switch in size and texture helped.
    I also now give them scratch grain too for some scratching fun [​IMG]

Right now my chickens LOVE grapes!!![​IMG] They will actually jump for them and try to take them out of our hands. Such sweet girls lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by