Pig Experts......I have a question........

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mtnhomechick, Apr 21, 2009.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I just got my first ever pig back from the butcher......Rookie here. The hams are smoked.......

Does Smoked mean Cooked? Do I just warm it or should I bake it longer in the oven?

Thanks,

Mary

2. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Anyone? Maybe I put this in the wrong place.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I don't think they are cooked totally - if you look at a smoked ham from the store it says to cook it at so high for so many hours, etc...

Smoking just cures it some - not cook it. The temp to smoke it is much lower than even a food dehydrator.

meri

4. apukanski

apukanski Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    It is ready to eat. You can warm it if you want to.

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I would recommend that you bring the internal temperature to at 160 degrees.

6. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    yep - warm in a slow oven

or slice it (even if you got it back whole) into portions so you can do what i just did - thaw out and fry up a couple of ham steaks for supper!

7. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Thanks everyone. Guess I'll cook it for awhile just to be safe.

8. Mojo Chick'n

Is it a country ham (salt cured) or a water cured ham?

The internal temp is not necesarily up to 150 on a smoked ham - therefore, some of the bacteria have not been killed off.

I would not eat it unless I heated it internally to 145-150 (it will rise to 155-160 after you pull it out of the oven and let it set).

meri

9. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Mojo Chick'n :

Is it a country ham (salt cured) or a water cured ham?

The internal temp is not necesarily up to 150 on a smoked ham - therefore, some of the bacteria have not been killed off.

I would not eat it unless I heated it internally to 145-150 (it will rise to 155-160 after you pull it out of the oven and let it set).

meri

Gosh Meri........I don't honestly know and the shop is closed now so I can't call. I never had a pig processed before.​

10. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:Gosh Meri........I don't honestly know and the shop is closed now so I can't call. I never had a pig processed before.

A country ham is easy to tell - it is like a whole leg and it has salt/mold on it. If it is simply smoked, it might have had a water bath curing. (country hams take forever I doubt it is a country ham)

Even so, I would cook it to an internal temp of 145-150.

Don't feel bad [​IMG] we had a pig processed for the first time recently, also - they don't smoke hams or cure bacon [​IMG] so next time I'll have my own smoker here and I'll do them myself. I was clueless, also - since they didn't cure the bacon I had the bacon meat put into the sausage - made it very greasy [​IMG] I won't be doing that again.

meri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by