Pig feed Ok for feeding chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrott91, Nov 3, 2011.

1. mrott91

mrott91 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    A co-worker who also raises chickens feeds her chickens pig feed. She said that it is so much cheaper and she just can't afford the $15 per 50lb bag charged by the elevator or from TSC or elsewhere. She says she feels it is more nutritional. Is this wise or safe? Personally I would love to use organic feed, but I just can't afford it. I would love to find a sound nutritional food for my chickens since I figure I will benefit too eating the eggs they produce.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I drove truck at a time in my life and I was shocked picking up and delivering animal pet feeds from distribution sites over the few years I traveled. They buy it in bulk and bag it and slap whatever companies name on it? [​IMG] For all kinds of animals. It is very possible that the pig feed has the requirements need for chickens but....... I would if it were me and my animals compare what a good quality name brand companies nutrients were in the feed and compare the percentages to the pigs and see if the feeds are suitable for what my animals needs are. I am just saying ?

By the way [​IMG]

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:I would assume they are not the same so if your chickens are in a cage an only get food threw you then its probably not a good idea. On the other hand if you are just keeping a free ranged flock friendly I bet you could get away with it.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've not compared the contents for a long time.

That said, to me the answer of higher feed prices is shopping the local mills, even if they aren't right next door. I just contend that life will take me that direction a half dozen times a year and when I'm there, I buy a couple months of feed. Top quality, Hubbard laying mash for $19.50 a hundred pounds, if you bring the bag back.

No point in being penny wise and pound foolish. I'd rather buy/use good quality layer feed. But there's no way, no way, I'm paying $15 for just 50# at TSC or similar.

5. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    $19.50 a hundred pounds [​IMG] Awesome!! Its $16 for 50lbs here... But I only have a flock of 4 atm, so 100lbs feed would spoil before I get through it. Good I'll keep it in mind when my flock grows

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by