Pig forums

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bil, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Ok, we are thinking about getting a couple of pigs this year or maybe next year. I have searched a little but I haven't been able to find a forum similar to BYC Forums that focuses on pigs.

Anybody know of any forums that are Pig centric? [​IMG]

Thanks!

Bil

2. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    I dont know of any, and I have searched ALOT. [​IMG]

I am trying to find one too. So please post if you find one!!

3. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
  4. partimer

partimer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Hey this site is good for chicks, so give it a try for piggies. Sometime this year I plan to get a sow(bred) and have a bunch of piglets, one or two for the freezer and the others to raise and sell. In my past I had some so I have some experiences with them. Feel free to question, if I can I'll share.
    My place won't be ready for anything till sometime in May. Then going out all barrels big time lots of stuff, retirement, O'boy!!!

5. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    How long does it take from piglet to Butcher? lol I am looking into the same thing for hopefully this year.

6. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    SSSssuuuuueeeeeeyyyyyy!!!!!! PIG PIg Pig pig. I'm in snort ssnort snortt! To market 6 months roughly, without steroids. Many here have pigs. You cannot believe how many people eat bacon! Mmm! Here is pics of last years pigs going through our fancy pig washer!
    [​IMG] Note: He does not get many kisses after work!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  7. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

When kids show at the fair they usually get their pigs beginning of March...There under 65 pounds at that time(that's the max weigh in for the fair)...Then the fair is in June (Father's Day weekend) and the pigs are usually around 225+ or so...I think max payout is like 250 or so.(I am not 100% possitive on that weight). But anyway all pigs that are shown at the fairs need to go to slaughter...So I guess that's roughly what 4 1/2-5 months.....

8. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I really want a pig....

9. Indiana hens

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    The white pig in the picture was a runt. She was 1 year-old when we butchered her; she weighed 380#. Was excellent meat. She really packed on the pounds after the others were gone. Her whole ham was huge and fed 3 whole family gatherings for Christmas. Breakfast, lunch, and supper. I don't know if a runt makes them leaner; it takes them longer to gain it.

10. Indiana hens

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    They really are friendly! They are raedy for market when they cannot get filled up anymore. They get agressive at this time wanting to eat anything. They will too! Around 250 is a good time to butcher. When they were young we played soccer with them. If you scratched Arnette, the white pig, behind her ear she would drop over for you to scratch her belly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by