Pig Hunting w/ Chickens

devora

Songster
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Willits, CA Gateway to the Redwoods
There’s a family of feral pigs here (I found out this morning!) and when our chickens found out they decided to investigate. I am amazed how intrepid they are.

ZsaZsaa--Pig.gif

Chickens-Casing-Pig.gif

Pig.gif

Watch out for that Momma Pig, they will kill anything that gets near their little ones or even thinks it's getting near them. I've seen one take down a full grown Xlarge German Shepherd dog. I suggest finding someone to relocate them as fencing is almost useless against them.

They are cute though.

WHOA!!! The only wild pigs I've ever seen were in Italy. I had no clue we had wild pigs in the US. Is that stupid of me???!!!
ep.gif

Quote:
Trish...just drive a few miles east of I-95 and there is a huge feral hog problem in the counties between I-95 and the coast. Many in Sampson, Duplin, Bladen and Pender Counties. Idiots brought them from Florida for hunting purposes and the population has exploded. When I lived down east, we had to shoot them when they got too close to our domestic swine operations.
To the OP...I hope your coop is pig-proof. They love to eat chickens and are very adept at getting into buildings or runs. Remember...they are usually night hunters.

I seriously NEVER knew we had wild pigs in NC!!! I feel really stupid now. We don't have them where I live in central NC.

Sure you do. Any place where they have raised hogs here in NC have some ferral ones running loose. There are even some wild hogs running around the city of Charlotte. Animal control has been trying to catch them for about 4 years now. Used to be a guy over in the Pawtuckett area had a junk yard and hogs in the back. Bunches of them still running loose in the woods not far from the new white water park.

Quote:
Well, I was raised in NC and I can tell you for sure that we do NOT have wild pigs in Franklin County NC!!! We are not near Charlotte.
gig.gif
We have no wild hogs here. I promise you that. I have eaten wild boar in Italy though, YUMMY. It actually tasted like beef, not pork.

Quote:
Well, I was raised in NC and I can tell you for sure that we do NOT have wild pigs in Franklin County NC!!! We are not near Charlotte.
gig.gif
We have no wild hogs here. I promise you that. I have eaten wild boar in Italy though, YUMMY. It actually tasted like beef, not pork.

Trish...hate to break it to ya...Franklin County would definitely have feral hogs. There are a ton of them in Nash County to your east and they live in the Tar River lowlands and am quite sure they have traveled up that watershed. According to the NC Dept of Ag, there are feral hogs in just about every county in the state.

Back
Top Bottom