Pig in House! PIC added for your amusement.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PoultryParadise, Dec 21, 2010.

1. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    So apparently someone heard we were in need of a new Berkshire boar piglet, as we needed new blood in the small herd. What this nice person did not know (since they didn't ask) is that we found and bought a Berkshire boar who was under a year old, 3 months ago. 2 months ago this nice person who will remain nameless decided as a surprise they would keep one of their new litter males intact, and give him to us as a gift. Gotta love friends, and gotta hate surprises.
    So now I am off to pick up this little boar piglet, which I don't need, and our barn has no spot for him. Our other pigs will be too aggressive with a new piglet(we think) and we haven't had time to run electricity to the barn this year(just moved in) so I can't put a heat lamp out for the little guy.

So, in the house I will be putting a pig this afternoon. And where should I put him, who knows? I have a ton of family coming for the holidays and my house is spotless right now. Hopefully I can build a quick brooder in the chicken coop which has electricity and stick the little guy in with the chickens? Oh, have patience I tell myself. Merry Christmas

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG] Sorry, but the mental images are hilarious!

My sister kept 3 full size, grown goats in her kitchen for 2 weeks. It made cooking a real challenge......

Merry Christmas!

3. PoultryParadise

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm glad to bring laughter into others lives. I just got back with this scared little piglet, he fits in a dog carrier. Now I have no idea where to put the darn thing. I am not placing this piglet in the kitchen with city-folk family coming. [​IMG]

4. PoultryParadise

Nov 30, 2010
    Any suggestions what I should do with him? For all those out there that think their christmas is going to be tough, try explaining this in your kitchen to city-folk.

[​IMG]

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Aw, isn't that too cute? [​IMG]
    If it would keep certain people away for the holidays, I'd have me one of those here right now! [​IMG]

6. PoultryParadise

Nov 30, 2010
    Quote:Maybe I'll just tell the step-mother-vegetarian coming that he is what's on the menu. [​IMG] just let me step outside for a moment with this pig, dinner will be just a sec.

7. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Oh my he is just the cutest. I was just thinking as I read your post that no way would I bring a piglet into my newly cleaned house when I was expecting guests for Christmas, but then I thought - "who am I kidding, I totally would!"

Enjoy your piggy Christmas. [​IMG]

8. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Hhahahhahah...... [​IMG] that will not go over well with city folk!!

9. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    if you think that is bad. my aunt had a free ranging cow and goat. they had left for town one day. when they came home, they noticed their back door was wide open (it was summer). so she went in and HOLY SH*@!! the cow was in the kitchen and the goat was on the couch. [​IMG] she has no idea how they got in. she thinks she might have forgotten to shut the main door and they somehow figured out how to open the screen door. so every time after that, if the big door wasn't shut, the cow came into the house. the darn thing figured out how to open the door [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]. she said after a while, they just gave up. if the cow came in, it came in. it never left the kitchen though and she "says" it never pooped inside. i think that part was just pure luck. i can not imagine a cow coming into my house when ever it felt like it. they got a kick out if it though.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    He pretty adorable at this age, good thinking on the playpen!

I would do it, too. And my family would talk about it for years, [​IMG] But they'd get over it and start slipping him snacks right away. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by