Pig Pen (and not the one from Charlie Brown)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gallopingfrog, Nov 4, 2011.

1. gallopingfrog

gallopingfrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    Arizona
    I'm way putting the cart in front of the horse....but how big should a pig pen and the shelter be for feeder pigs? I'll have seperate areas for farrowing and growing piglets.....and I assume the uncastrated male has to be seperate as well?????? Yep...pretty much....that's what I know about pigs! LOL Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I thought about the truck driver from Convoy.

3. gallopingfrog

Oct 31, 2011
    Arizona
    Quote:Lol Me too! But I didn't know if anyone would get it! I watched that movie from a young age because my dad was an over the road truck driver....[​IMG]

4. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Pigs can be kept in a small area. You just have to keep them clean. I have heard of people even building a small raised area so it is easy to spray out. Personally I pasture raise my pigs. They graze and when the grass starts to get low I move them to a new pasture. I give them excess dairy to provide lysine and additional calories.

5. gallopingfrog

Oct 31, 2011
    Arizona
    Quote:Thank you for the info...I guess the mental plan in my head is to give them a large pen and have a shelter at the front of it...basically a chicken coop on crack (without the nesting boxes - LOL) because I'll end up seperating different pigs within the same pen, to make three pens: one to use for farrowing and growing (I'll only be breeding one sow at a time), and the other for finishing the feeders....then a third for Papa Pig - whoever he may be! When I'm not using the other pen for farrowing or growing, I'll probably open it up for everyone to mix (minus Papa Pig...pigs have a lot of babies and I only need one litter(?) at a time!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by